A stillbirth or miscarriage is the death of a fetus before or during birth. After a stillbirth or miscarriage, a medical facility or funeral director will register the death of the fetus with the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH).

There are two types of stillbirth or miscarriage certificates. The type depends how long the fetus developed in the womb (gestation).

  • A certificate of spontaneous termination of pregnancy (miscarriage) certifies the fetal death occurring before or during the 20th week of gestation.
  • A certificate of still birth certifies a fetal death occurring after the 20th week of gestation.

Note: If your child was born with some evidence of life, such as a heartbeat or voluntary muscle movement, the infant will have both a birth certificate and death certificate. You must apply separately for these certificates.

Learn more about stillbirth or miscarriage certificates.

Who Can Order

Anyone can request a certificate of spontaneous termination of pregnancy.

You can only request a certificate of still birth and miscarriage if you are a parent named on the certificate. If both parents are deceased at the time of stillbirth, you can order if you are an aunt, uncle, or grandparent of the birth parent.

You can request a copy by mailing an application to DOHMH.

If the death took place within the past 12 months, you can also submit the application through the funeral director who served you.

All certificates cost $15 and will be mailed. Allow up to six weeks to receive your certificate from the date you send your request.

Get an Application

You can get the Certificate of Still Birth or Spontaneous Termination of Pregnancy Application.


Download the application.

By Mail

You can request a paper copy of the application.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to request a copy.

You can contact the Office of Vital Records for help with ordering a still birth or miscarriage certificate.

By Email

Email nycdohvr@health.nyc.gov.


Chat online with an operator Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No