You can report a problem with a store that sells electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and liquid nicotine (e-liquids).

An e-cigarette is a battery-operated device that delivers vapor for inhaling by heating a liquid, gel, herb, or other substance, regardless of whether it contains nicotine. 

Any component part, such as a cartridge or refill, is considered an e-cigarette.

You can report a store that:

  • Is unlicensed
  • Sells e-cigarettes to people under 21
  • Sells flavored e-cigarettes or e-liquids
  • Doesn’t post age restriction or license and complaint signs
  • Prices or packages products improperly

What Happens Next

To receive follow up on your request, you must provide your address. The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) will mail you a complaint form, which you must complete and return. If you also provide an email address with your Service Request, you will receive the form by email instead. Be sure to check your spam folder in addition to your inbox.

DCWP will consider your complaint a tip if you do not provide your address.

It’s illegal for businesses within 500 feet of a school to display in storefront windows or doors:

  • Advertisements for tobacco products, electronic cigarettes, or vapor products
  • Any item used to inhale tobacco or nicotine, including pipes, water pipes, hookahs, rolling papers, and vapes

Report illegal advertising near a school:

By Email

Email your complaint to Please be as specific as possible about the problem.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

The Department of Consumer and Worker Protection does not accept reports of rude employee behavior. You should report this type of complaint to the business.

For reports of discrimination, go to the Discrimination page.

The New York City Department of Consumer and Worker Protection can help you with complaints about businesses in New York City. For complaints about businesses elsewhere, contact the local Consumer Affairs office or the State Attorney General's office.


Learn how to file a complaint for a business outside of NYC.

By Phone

  • Agency: Nassau County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (516) 571-2600
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: Suffolk County Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (631) 853-4600
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: Westchester County Department of Consumer Protection
  • Phone Number: (914) 995-2155
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  • Agency: New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs
  • Phone Number: (973) 504-6200
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No