Staten Island residents can get free curbside pickup of textiles by making an appointment with the Department of Sanitation (DSNY).
DSNY will collect textiles of all kinds, including clothes, shoes, linens, and clean rags.
How it Works
- Appointments are available Monday through Friday, except on City holidays.
- You must place the items curbside after 4 PM the evening before your appointment day.
- You can schedule an appointment up to two weeks in advance. Next-day appointments must be scheduled by noon the previous day.
Pick-Up Status, Rescheduling, or Cancellation
You can check the status of your pick-up appointment. You can also reschedule or cancel it up until 4 PM the day before the appointment. You must provide your Service Request number.
Adding Additional Items to an Appointment
If you have already scheduled an appointment and have additional items you need to dispose of, or if someone else has already made a pick-up request for your preferred appointment date, you can:
- Place your additional items curbside along with the others on the scheduled appointment date, OR
- Schedule a separate appointment for your other items on a different date
DSNY does not accept missed collection complaints for these types of items. If your items were not collected on your appointment day, you must remove the items from the curb and schedule a new pick-up appointment.
Items that are left out on private property are "unserviceable” and cannot be picked up. You must place your items curbside in order for them to be collected. If you did not put your items curbside on the scheduled day, you can make a new appointment.