Call 911
Call 911 to report someone driving a vehicle with unauthorized paper license plates.

State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) issue paper license plates on a temporary basis. A driver may not get a paper license plate from a third party and display it instead of their DMV issued license plate. A third party includes someone selling paper plates on a retail or social media website.

If a driver displays an unauthorized paper license plate, the Office of the Sheriff may seize their vehicle. They may also be subject to civil and criminal penalties. 

Vehicles must obey all parking, driving, and toll regulations regardless of the type of license plate displayed.

You can report:

  • Parked vehicles displaying unauthorized paper license plates (also known as "ghost cars")
  • Sale of unauthorized paper license plates

You can report a vehicle parked on a street or sidewalk with unauthorized paper license plates.

You can report someone selling unauthorized paper license plates.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to report the problem.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No