Call 911
Call 911 if you are in immediate danger.

Need something else?

New York City agencies and their partners are responding to post-storm impacts caused by Hurricane Ida. 

The City’s Public Engagement Unit is texting New Yorkers who may have been impacted by the hurricane to apply for Federal Disaster Assistance.

You should watch out for fallen power lines and stay away from damaged areas.

Visit to learn about City resources for those affected by Hurricane Ida.

    The following location is a FEMA disaster recovery center providing federal disaster assistance only for affected residents in any borough.

    Please note: As of Monday, October 18, New York City agencies, including the American Red Cross, no longer have representatives at the center. Locations and hours of operation are subject to change.

    Queens College, Student Union
    152-45 Melbourne Avenue
    Flushing, NY 11367
    Open Monday to Saturday from 10 AM to 6 PM

    You can request transportation assistance if you can't get to a Hurricane Service Center using a vehicle or other transportation option. 

    You can also request transportation assistance to an American Red Cross hotel.

    Call 311 for assistance.

    Emergency Housing Services

    Emergency Housing Services offers assistance if your household needs temporary shelter because of damage to your home caused by Hurricane Ida.

    • Agency: Department of Housing Preservation and Development
    • Division: Emergency Housing Services
    • Phone Number: (212) 863-7660
    • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 4 PM

    Salvation Army 

    The Salvation Army offers services including a food pantry, soup kitchen, clothing, and spiritual counseling.

    Find a Salvation Army Corps Community Center.

    Catholic Charities of Brooklyn & Queens

    Catholic Charities of Brooklyn and Queens services include food pantry referrals and case management.

    • Monday - Friday: 9 AM to 5 PM
      ​(718) 722-6001

    Learn more about Catholic Charities of Brooklyn and Queens.

    City Harvest

    City Harvest provides a food pantry, soup kitchens, and mobile markets.

    Visit the City Harvest website.

    Governor Hochul and Mayor de Blasio announced $27 million is available to provide relief to undocumented survivors of the storms and flooding caused by the remnants of Hurricane Ida. This funding will be distributed through grants to an established network of community organizations and provided to New Yorkers who are not eligible to receive storm recovery assistance through the FEMA Individual Assistance Program or other means. 

    The application period will close on Friday, November 26, 2021.

    In order to qualify for this program, the applicants must NOT:

    • Be eligible for FEMA assistance AND
    • Have an individual in their household who is eligible for assistance.

    To get connected with assistance, impacted residents you should call the ONA Hotline which is available in over 200 languages.

    ONA Hotline
    Monday - Friday: 9 AM to 8 PM
    1 (800) 566-7636

    Homeowners and renters can submit a report online that a hurricane or flooding caused damage to their property.

    The Damage Assessment Tool allows the City to immediately collect damage information from New Yorkers to assess the impact upon affected areas. 

    Eligible New Yorkers can now request disaster assistance from FEMA.

    What Happens Next

    Information from your report will be shared with DOB where appropriate. DOB will check for structural damage and other immediately hazardous conditions. Teams of inspectors responding to reports are looking to ensure these structures are safe to occupy. Reporting damage with this form is being used for tracking with Emergency Management; you will not be provided a confirmation number.

    If storm-related damage is found during these inspections, property owners will be notified of the conditions, and provided guidance on how to go about making repairs. Vacate Orders are only issued as a last resort, when occupancy of a building poses an immediate life safety threat.

    President Biden has approved an expedited Major Disaster Declaration that will help provide federal financial relief for New Yorkers recovering from the flooding damage caused by the remnants of Hurricane Ida.

    The counties covered by the declaration include:

    • Bronx
    • Queens
    • Kings (Brooklyn)
    • Richmond (Staten Island)

    Undocumented persons may get financial assistance from FEMA if they qualify. Their status will not be jeopardized by requesting disaster assistance.

    The last day to apply for disaster assistance is December 6, 2021.

    Rejection Letters

    FEMA officials advise residents who registered with the agency for help should read their determination letter carefully regarding their eligibility for assistance. The letter might not serve as FEMA’s final answer. You may need to submit extra documents to process the application.

    Every applicant can appeal the agency’s decision.

    Examples of missing documentation may include:

    • an insurance settlement letter
    • proof of residence
    • proof of ownership of the damaged property or
    • proof that the damaged property was the applicant’s primary residence at the time of the disaster

    By appealing, you are asking FEMA to review the case.


    Apply for disaster assistance.

    By Phone

    • Agency: Federal Emergency Management Agency
    • Division: Hurricane Ida Assistance
    • Phone Number: (800) 621-3362
    • Business Hours: Daily: 7 AM - 11:45 PM
    • TTY: (800) 462-7585

    If you use a relay service (a videophone, InnoCaption, CapTel, etc.), provide your number assigned to that service.

    FEMA must be able to contact you. Be aware that phone calls from FEMA may appear to come from an unidentified number.

    Disaster Legal Services (DLS) provides free legal help to low-income disaster survivors (including homeowners and renters). If you're not able to get adequate legal services for your disaster-related needs, DLS may be able to help.

    DLS may only provide advice and assist with cases that will not generate a fee. For cases that may generate a fee, they may refer you to a local lawyer referral service.

    DLS may help with:

    • Insurance claims for medical bills, loss of property, and loss of life
    • New wills, powers of attorney, and other legal papers lost during the disaster
    • Home repair contracts and contractors
    • Problems with landlords
    • Proof of home ownership
    • FEMA appeals


    Learn more about legal assistance.

    By Phone

    • Agency: Disaster Legal Services Hotline
    • Phone Number: 1 (888) 399-5459

    The City provides information about how to clean a home after a flood or sewage overflow. It is important to thoroughly clean and disinfect inside your home after a flood or sewage overflow. Flood water may contain sewage water and germs. Direct exposure may infect your eyes, skin, stomach or intestines.

    These basic cleanup guidelines and health precautions are recommended:

    • Do not eat or drink anything exposed to flood or sewer water.
    • Wear rubber boots, gloves, and protective goggles during cleanup.
    • Discard any clothing or household items that can't be thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and dried.
    • Keep children, pets, and people with compromised immune systems out of contaminated areas until cleanup is complete.
    • Seek professional cleaning help for homes with extensive flood damage.
    • Owners who want to reoccupy residences damaged by flooding should first hire a New York State-licensed Registered Architect or Professional Engineer to assess the building's safety. If the building is not safe to occupy, the owners should seek alternative housing arrangements while repairs are made. Owners should take pictures of all damage and flood impacts and keep receipts for all repairs if they intend to apply for disaster assistance or to make an insurance claim.
    • To make repairs, owners need to work with an engineer or architect who has the necessary City-authorized permits. The City advises residents to obtain two or three quotes from different contractors before beginning the work, which can vary widely in price depending on various field conditions. 
    • Dry all areas and items quickly and thoroughly.
    • Dry clean or wash and dry all clothing and other home items. Clean floors, furniture, and other surfaces with detergent and water.
    • Stay out of deep water. Extensive flooding damage may require clean-up and restoration by professionals.

    Get more cleaning tips, including how to handle sewage and mold growth.

    Crisis Cleanup

    If you need volunteer assistance with flood damage, call (917) 243-1005 to ask for help.

    You will be connected with volunteers from local and national relief organizations who can help with:

    • Muck and gut
    • Mold suppression
    • Debris removal

    All services are free, but service is not guaranteed due to overwhelming need.

    The City is not accepting donations at this time. Please do not drop off any donations to the Hurricane Service Centers or any affected areas.

    Before donating any goods, including food or clothing, wait for instructions from local officials or check with a specific organization. Unneeded items overwhelm the recovery effort and may go to waste.

    Donate Goods and Food

    Visit donateNYC.

    Donate food through Food Bank for New York City.

    Donate food through City Harvest.

      Was this information helpful?   Yes    No