Through the 2021 American Rescue Plan, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has awarded a limited number of Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHV) to the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) and the NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development (HPD). In partnership with the New York City Continuum of Care (NYC CoC), both agencies will issue these emergency vouchers to qualifying households.
You cannot apply directly for EHV assistance. If you believe you may be eligible, or you would like additional information, please reach out to your caseworker.
EHVs are limited to families and individuals who are:
- At-risk of homelessness
- Fleeing or attempting to flee domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault stalking, or human trafficking
- Recently homeless and at high risk of housing instability
Potentially eligible families and individuals must first complete an initial screening with a caseworker and be referred by designated New York City agencies and their contracted providers. Because the EHVs are limited, families and individuals who meet the eligibility criteria must also satisfy additional prioritization criteria. Only eligible clients who are also in a priority group will be referred to NYCHA or HPD.
Initial screening is completed using the online NYC Coordinated Assessment and Placement System (CAPS). Your caseworker can assist you with this screening and additional application steps.
The agencies making EHV referrals are:
- NYC Department of Homeless Services (DHS)
- NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA)
- HIV/AIDS Service Administration (HASA)
- Emergency Intervention Services (EIS)
- Homelessness Prevention Administration (HPA)
- NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD)
- NYC Mayor’s Office on Criminal Justice
- NYC Health + Hospitals
- NYC Mayor’s Office to End Domestic and Gender-Based Violence (ENDGBV)
- NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD)
- NYC Administration for Children’s Services (ACS)
Learn more about the Emergency Housing Voucher (EHV) Program.