The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) will provide temporary rental assistance and rental and utility arrears to low- and moderate-income households.
Applications are now open. Eligible applicants should apply as soon as possible.
Approved applicants may receive:
- Up to 12 months of rental arrears payments for rents accrued on or after March 13, 2020.
- Up to 3 months of additional rental assistance if the household is expected to spend 30 percent or more of their gross monthly income to pay for rent.
- Up to 12 months of electric or gas utility arrears payments for arrears that have accrued on or after March 13, 2020.
- Up to 12 months of protection against certain types of eviction, with limited exceptions for small buildings.
- Up to 12 months of monthly rent frozen at the amount it was when you applied.
All payments will be made directly to the landlord/property owner on behalf of the tenant. Tenants will be notified of the amounts paid on their behalf. Landlords may initiate an ERAP application on behalf of eligible tenant(s).
Applicants are protected from certain types of eviction while their application is pending. Documentation of immigration status will not be requested.
As a NYC tenant, you are eligible for this assistance if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You have fallen behind on rent since the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020.
- A member of your household has qualified for unemployment benefits, experienced a reduction in income, incurred significant costs, or experienced financial hardship—directly or indirectly due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Your household income (before tax) is currently or was in 2020 at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI)::
Learn more and apply for the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP). You can also live chat with a representative on the website.
Get answers to frequently asked questions about ERAP.
Check the status of your application.
- Agency: New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
- Division: Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP)
- Phone Number: (844) 691-7368
- Business Hours: Monday - Saturday: 8 AM - 7 PM
- Agents are available during business hours. Call volume is often high. If you get a busy signal, please try again later.