Currently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorized two COVID-19 vaccines: Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna. These vaccines can prevent COVID-19 symptoms and severe COVID-19 illness.
The vaccines require 2 doses that must be taken 3 to 4 weeks apart. After your first dose you will be given a card with the following:
- Your name, date of birth, and medical record number (if you have one)
- Name of the vaccine you were given (Pfizer or Moderna)
- Date and place you got the shot
- You should ask at the site where you are given the first dose about when to get the second dose.
At this time, only eligible people living or working in New York City can schedule an appointment to get vaccinated. This will roll out over the next weeks as the vaccine becomes more available.
The following groups should contact their affiliate network or employer to get vaccinated:
- Staff affiliated with a hospital network
- Staff who work at urgent care centers
- Staff at congregate settings associated with NYS Offices for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD), Mental Health (OMH), and Addiction Services (OASAS)
For all other eligible groups, including eligible health care workers not affiliated with a hospital and eligible funeral workers, first check with your employer to see if other vaccination plans have already been made. If not, you can schedule an appointment to be vaccinated at a City vaccine site.
You must have an appointment, fill out the New York State COVID-19 Vaccine Form, attest to being in an eligible category and bring proof of employment (if applicable), such as employee ID card, a letter from your employer or affiliated organization or a recent pay stub. The form can be completed online and you will receive a submission ID, or you can fill out the form at your vaccination site.
There is currently a proposal awaiting State approval to create a waitlist for COVID-19 vaccines. However at this time, a waitlist for the vaccines does not exist.
Fill out the New York State COVID-19 Vaccine Form.
Learn more about COVID-19 vaccine.
Text COVID to 692-692 to get the latest updates from Notify NYC.
Text COVIDESP to 692-692 to get the same updates in Spanish.