Everyone 6 months and older should get the new, updated COVID-19 vaccine. This new vaccine protects against both the original virus that causes COVID-19 and current variants.
The new, updated Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines are the only brands of the updated COVID-19 vaccine currently available in the US. It doesn’t matter which brand you choose. Older Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are no longer available.
You should get the updated vaccine, even if you’ve already received:
- Any original COVID-19 vaccines
- The older bivalent booster that targeted earlier Omicron subvariants
The number of doses you need depends on your age and if you’re at risk of severe COVID-19 illness.
If you recently had COVID-19, talk to your health care provider about when you should get your next vaccine.
People 5 Years or Older
Everyone 5 years and older should get one dose of the new, updated COVID-19 vaccine. You can get the new vaccine two months after your last dose.
If you are 65 or older, you may get a second dose of the updated vaccine 4 or more months after your first dose. Talk to your health care provider if you have questions about the number of doses you need.
Children Younger Than 5
Children 6 months to 4 years old need multiple doses of COVID-19 vaccines. Young children get the same vaccine as for adults, but at a lower dose.
The number of doses needed for this age group depends on the child’s vaccination history.
- If the child has never received the COVID-19 vaccine, follow this schedule:
- Updated Pfizer Vaccine
- Doses: 3
- Schedule: Second dose given at least 21 days after the first, and the third dose given at least 56 days after the second.
- Updated Moderna Vaccine
- Doses: 2 (if immunocompromised, the child should get three doses)
- Schedule: Second dose given at least 28 days after the first
- If the child has already received one or more doses of a COVID-19 vaccine, talk to your child’s health care provider. The child should get at least one dose of the new, updated Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, but the total number of doses they need depends on the vaccine and how many doses they’ve previously received.
People with a Weakened Immune System
If you have a weakened immune system, you should get more than one dose of the new, updated COVID-19 vaccine. You can get additional doses as long as they are given at least two months apart.
If you have never received a COVID-19 vaccine, you should get three vaccine doses as part of your initial series. Then, you can also get additional doses at least 2 months after the last one.
Talk with your health care provider if you have questions about how many vaccine doses you should get.