All schools are required to follow health and safety protocols to prevent, identify, and address the spread of COVID-19.
Schools will also:
- Promote healthy behaviors such as physical distancing, wearing face coverings, handwashing, and using sanitizer
- Distribute self-test kits to students and staff who show symptoms of COVID-19
- Clean the school throughout the day and disinfect every night
- Maintain an isolation room for students with symptoms with a dedicated staff member or health professional
- Communicate clearly with families and the school community
- Have a nurse in every public school building
Get the latest COVID-19 health and safety information for public schools.
Download the DOE health and safety guide.
Families with questions about DOE health and safety protocols can contact their school directly. Feedback about changes to these protocols can be emailed to FACE@schools.nyc.gov.
Daily Health Screenings
The daily health screener is no longer required to enter public school buildings.
COVID-19 Cases in Schools
Daily COVID Case Map
You can view a map that shows all known active interventions and cases of COVID-19 at New York City public schools. It is updated Sunday through Friday at 6 PM.
View the daily COVID case map.
Quarantine and School Closure Protocols
If there is a positive case in a classroom, students who were in close proximity to these students will no longer have to quarantine and will continue attending school if they do not have symptoms and do not have a positive test result from a COVID test. These students will be sent home with a self test kit and should follow the instructions for testing at home.
Schools will be closed only when it is determined by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) that there is widespread transmission in the school.
If you have questions or concerns about quarantine protocols, contact your child's school. Visit the School Finder page for school contact information.
School Visitor Policy
As of February 10, 2023, proof of COVID-19 vaccination is no longer required for visitors to public school buildings.