You can find programs and services that can help you make ends meet, find ways to cope, and support others during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.


Visit the Business Financial Assistance page to learn how to access grants, loans, and other programs that can help you reopen and grow your business. 


If you're a worker, visit the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Workers page to learn about:

  • What you need to know about businesses reopening
  • Workers' rights and workplace rules
  • Documentation needed to return to work
  • Financial resources and essential worker benefits

Price Gouging

Price gouging is illegal for any personal or household good or any service that is needed to prevent or limit the spread of or treat the new coronavirus (COVID-19).

Examples include:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants (wipes, liquids, sprays)
  • Face masks
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Medicines

Learn more and file a complaint on the Overcharge page.


It is illegal for business owners or staff at places of public accommodations (e.g. grocery stores, medical facilities, restaurants, among others) to kick you out, refuse to serve you, or otherwise treat you less well than other customers because of fears or stigma around COVID-19. This includes harassment or discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived race, national origin, disability, or other protected classes.

If you believe you have been discriminated against, you can report it to the NYC Commission on Human Rights.

Learn more on the Discrimination page.

Child Care

You can learn how to apply for financial assistance to pay for child care services at an EarlyLearn NYC child care program on the Child Care Financial Assistance page.

To learn about the tax benefit that helps families pay for child care, visit the Child Care Tax Credit page.

You can get information about available services and resources for immigrant communities during the COVID-19 pandemic on the Immigrant Assistance page.

To learn about cash payments to immigrant workers who are not eligible for Unemployment Insurance or related Federal benefits, visit the Excluded Workers Fund page.

Domestic Violence

Anyone can experience abuse regardless of:

  • Age
  • Sexual orientation
  • Gender identity
  • Ethnicity
  • Social group

If you are experiencing abuse, you can get help with safety planning, referrals, and connections to emergency housing. Learn more and find help on the Domestic Violence page.

Property Tax

The Property Tax and Interest Deferral (PT AID) program helps homeowners who are experiencing hardship defer payments for past and future property taxes.

Learn how to apply on the Property Tax Payment Deferral page.


For questions or assistance with foreclosure, housing and legal counseling, COVID-19 mortgage relief, forbearance, loan modifications, and financial assistance for homeowners with hardship, visit the Foreclosure Prevention page.

Residential Tenants

You can get help with paying rent, learn your rights under the law, and find resources to help you stay in your home during the COVID-19 public health emergency.

Services and programs include:

Learn more on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Tenants page.

NYCHA Tenants

NYCHA has simplified its Rent Hardship Policy to make it easier to reduce your rent during the COVID-19 crisis. If you live in NYCHA public housing, you can complete an Interim Recertification if you lost your job or your work hours were cut.

Learn more on the NYCHA Rent Payment page.

Commercial Tenants

If you are a commercial tenant, you can get information about financial and legal resources for your business, including help reviewing and negotiating commercial leases.

Learn more on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Businesses page.


If you have lost your job, you can claim unemployment insurance benefits.

New York State is waiving the 7-day waiting period for unemployment insurance benefits for people who are out of work due to coronavirus closures or quarantines.

To learn more and apply for benefits, visit the Unemployment Insurance page.

Cash and Expenses

Public Assistance

Eligible families may receive up to 60 months of federally funded cash assistance under the Temporary Aid to Needy Families Program (TANF).

Single individuals without children and families who have already received cash assistance for 60 months may receive benefits under the New York State Safety Net Program.

Learn how to apply on the Public Assistance or Welfare page.

Emergency Cash Assistance

The "One Shot Deal" emergency assistance program helps people who can't meet an expense due to an unexpected situation or event. You may be eligible for an emergency cash grant. For more information, visit the One Shot Deal page.

If you already receive Cash Assistance, you can apply for a Special Grant using ACCESS HRA.

Temporary Discounts for Internet Service

The Emergency Broadband Benefit is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program to help families and households struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. The benefit will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands.

To learn more, visit the Emergency Broadband Benefit page.

Tourism Worker Recovery Fund

The Tourism Worker Recovery Fund helps New Yorkers in the most impacted tourism and hospitality industry sectors who were on extended federal unemployment insurance the last week before those benefits ended and have yet to see their earnings fully recover. The New York State Department of Labor will issue one-time payments of $2,750 to as many as 36,000 qualified workers in tourism sector industries.

New Yorkers who are eligible will be contacted directly via text or email.

Learn more about the Tourism Worker Recovery Fund.

    Stimulus Payments

    Under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, eligible individuals and families will receive Economic Impact Payments (stimulus payments) based on income. The payment amount you receive depends on your income. Each round of stimulus payments has different income requirements.

    To learn more, visit the Stimulus Payments page.


    Utility companies cannot disconnect service for non-payment to any qualifying customer financially impacted by COVID-19 through December 21, 2021. Contact your utility company for more information.

    Currently, you don't need to apply for Emergency Assistance (a One-Shot-Deal) if you are unable to pay your bill. Utility companies cannot shut off your service if your bill is unpaid, even if you received a shut-off notice that states your service will end.

    Low-income homeowners and renters can get help paying for utility and heating bills through the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). Learn more on the Heat and Utility Bill Assistance page.

    Financial Counseling

    NYC Financial Empowerment Centers now provide free one-on-one professional, financial counseling over the phone. Counselors can provide financial guidance during COVID-19.

    Learn more on the Financial Counseling page.

    Student Loans

    On March 20, 2020, the office of Federal Student Aid began providing the following temporary relief on U.S. Department of Education (ED)-owned federal student loans: suspension of loan payments, stopped collections on defaulted loans, and a 0% interest rate.

    On Jan. 20, 2021, the COVID-19 emergency relief measures were extended on ED-owned federal student loans through at least Sept. 30, 2021.

    This temporary relief does not apply to private student loans.

    You can get the latest updates online, including information on preparing for payments to resume.

    Learn more about temporary relief on ED-owned federal student loans.

    Free food is available to all New Yorkers in need.

    • Emergency Food sites can help you get food quickly.
    • Food Benefit Programs can help you buy groceries.

    Emergency Food

    You can pick up food packages at a food pantry or get a meal at a soup kitchen.

    Use Site Finder to search for a Food Provider. You should call first to confirm their hours before visiting.


    If you are currently a client of GetFoodNYC, you will be transitioned to the 60+ Recovery Meals Service beginning November 1, 2021.

    If you are not a GetFoodNYC client, visit the Home Delivered Meals for Seniors page to learn about meal delivery service for seniors age 60 and older who are unable to attend a group meal program or prepare their own meals.

    Food Benefit Programs

    You can get help paying for groceries by enrolling in a food assistance program.

    • SNAP (Food Stamps) helps people with limited income buy food. Benefits are provided on an electronic card that is used like an ATM card and accepted at most grocery stores.
    • Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides pregnant women, mothers, and young children with healthy food and support services for prenatal care, breastfeeding, and nutrition.

    If you need additional support, you may sign up for other public benefits, such as Cash Assistance, using ACCESS HRA.

    All New Yorkers deserve to celebrate, honor, and memorialize their loved ones who have passed. Even during these difficult times, we must continue to practice social distancing, good hand hygiene, and infection prevention to help slow the spread of COVID-19 and protect others from getting sick.

    You can get health and safety guidance for funeral services and funeral homes on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health and Safety page.

    Financial Assistance

    Financial assistance from the Human Resources Administration (HRA) may be available to meet funeral expenses for a low-income New York City resident who passed away.

    You may also qualify for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Burial Reimbursement program. 

    Learn more on the Funeral Financial Assistance page.

    COVID-19 Information

    Visit the:

    Health Care Providers

    If you don’t have a health care provider and need to schedule a primary care appointment, visit the Find a Doctor page for a referral.

    Health Insurance

    You can learn about free or low-cost public health insurance programs and services on the following pages:

    The enrollment period for New Yorkers to enroll in private health insurance coverage has been extended. Learn more about your options and find enrollment assistance on the Health Insurance Application Assistance page.

    Health Care Access for Uninsured

    If you are not eligible for insurance or can’t afford it, the NYC Care health care access program may be an option for you. Learn more on the NYC Care page.

    Mental Health

    You can get free, confidential help with mental health or substance abuse issues, including crisis services and treatment referrals.

    Learn more on the Mental Health Support and NYC Well page.

    COVID-19 Hotel Program

    The COVID-19 Hotel Program provides temporary housing for people who have or may have COVID-19 and cannot isolate themselves where they live. Learn more on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health and Safety page.

    Medication Delivery

    Capsule is a pharmacy which offers free, same day home delivery of prescription medications, 7 days a week. It can help you if you are self-isolating and can't go outside. Learn more on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health and Safety page.

    The Continuing Appropriations Act of 2021 and Other Extensions Act reauthorized the payment of P-EBT food benefits to households with children who would have received free school lunches under the National School Lunch Act. Children who receive free school lunches through the National School Lunch Program are eligible for P-EBT food benefits if their school has been operating with reduced in-person attendance due to COVID-19 during the 2020-21 school year.

    Children eligible to receive P-EBT food benefits will receive their benefits for the 2020-21 school year in two payments:

    • The first set of payments was issued through August and included P-EBT food benefits for each month between September 2020 and March 2021 that an eligible child qualified for food benefits.
    • The second set of payments include P-EBT food benefits for each month between April and June 2021 that an eligible child qualified for food benefits:
      • Eligible public school children should have received their second round of benefits in October 2021.
      • Eligible charter or private school children will receive a single payment of benefits for the entire 2020-21 school year by the end of November 2021.

    Eligible children will receive P-EBT food benefits based on the number of days their school has reported that it was closed, or that in-person attendance was reduced due to COVID-19. There are two different amounts that an eligible child may receive:

    • $82 in P-EBT food benefits for a month, if the child’s school reported that their in-person school attendance was reduced by 1 to 12 days during a month
    • $132 in P-EBT food benefits for a month, if the child’s school reported that their in-person school attendance was reduced for more than 12 days during a month

    Children whose schools reported that their in-person attendance was not reduced during a month due to COVID will not receive a benefit for that month.

    If your family:

    • Receives SNAP or TA, the benefit for each eligible child will be issued directly to the household’s existing EBT card.
    • Received a P-EBT card for 2019-2020 benefits, the 2020-2021 benefits will be issued on the same P-EBT Food Benefit card.
    • Doesn't receive SNAP or TA, but does receive Medicaid and received 2019-2020 benefits, the benefit will be issued for the 2020-21 school year on the same NYS Medicaid card.
    • Doesn't receive SNAP or TA, and if you don't already have an active EBT Card, one will be mailed to you so you may access your child/children’s P-EBT food benefits. A card will be issued and mailed in each school-aged child’s name, not a parent’s or guardian’s name.

    Learn more about P-EBT food benefits.

    P-EBT Card Replacement

    You can request a replacement P-EBT card by phone if your previously issued card has been lost, stolen or damaged. 

    You will need to provide information to verify the cardholder's identity, including the cardholder’s 8-digit birthday (MM/DD/YYYY) and the 4-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) you selected for the P-EBT food benefit card that you are replacing. If you did not previously create a PIN, you will still be able to order a replacement card by following the prompts.

      • Agency: New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
      • Division: Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) Customer Service
      • Phone Number: (888) 328-6399
      • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
      • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours.

      Further Assistance

      You can contact the P-EBT Food Benefits Helpline for more information and assistance.

      The P-EBT Food Benefits Helpline can only answer questions about the Pandemic EBT benefits. Visit the following pages instead if you need case assistance with:

      • Agency: New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
      • Division: P-EBT Food Benefit Helpline
      • Phone Number: (833) 452-0096
      • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

      For information about transmission, how to keep you and your pets safe, and services for pet owners who are sick, go to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Health and Safety page.

      You can get posters, flyers, and palm cards on COVID-19 safety from the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

      Got to the Health and Mental Hygiene Literature page to get free copies of these materials by mail or to download them online.


      Health Care Volunteers

      If you are a health professional, such as a doctor or nurse, you can volunteer for the Medical Reserve Corps to help address public health needs during the pandemic.

      Learn more on the Health Care Provider Assistance page.

      Community Organizations

      If your organization needs volunteers or other resources to support COVID-19 relief efforts, visit the Non-Profit Assistance page.

      Donate or Partner

      Donate Money

      The Mayor’s Fund to Advance New York City has set up the COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund to support health care workers, local businesses, displaced hourly workers, families, youth, and vulnerable New Yorkers.

      Learn how to donate money to the Mayor’s Fund on the Donate to New York City page. 

      Share Space

      Registering community spaces is one way you can help support communities during this time. The NYC Share Your Space Survey is critical to helping the City of New York prepare for emergencies and outreach to all of the City's communities.

      Visit the Share Your Space Survey to register your space.

      Supply or Make Supplies

      The City of New York is seeking businesses interested in donating or supplying medical supplies needed to support the City’s COVID-19 response. Learn more on the Donate Goods page.

        Was this information helpful?   Yes    No