Under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, eligible individuals and families will receive Economic Impact Payments (stimulus payments) of up to $1,200 (for single filers) and $2,400 (for married couples filing jointly) plus an additional $500 for each dependent child under age 17.
To be eligible:
- You must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or resident alien.
- You must have a valid Social Security number (SSN).
- You must have Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) in 2019 that is under $99,000 (single filer) and $198,000 (joint filers).
- You cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.
You will receive an automatic payment if you:
- Filed your 2018 and/or 2019 tax return before April 13, 2020 and meet the income criteria.
- Do not file a tax return but receive:
- Veterans Affairs (VA) Compensation and Pension benefits
- Social Security Administration (SSA) benefits (includes retirement and Social Security Disability Income)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits
- Survivors benefits (VA, SSA, RRB)
If you filed your 2018 or 2019 taxes and included your banking information for direct deposit, the payment will be deposited in your bank account.
The deadline to submit banking information for direct deposit was Wednesday, May 13th. You can no longer request direct deposit. You will get payment by mail.
The income tax filing deadline was postponed to July 15, 2020; however, if you are eligible for a stimulus payment but will not get it automatically, then you must file your taxes to get your stimulus payment.
Prepaid Debit Card
Some people will receive their Economic Impact Payment by prepaid debit card, instead of paper check. These Economic Impact Payment Cards arrive in a plain envelope from Money Network Cardholder Services. The Visa name will appear on the front of the card; the back of the card has the name of the issuing bank, MetaBank. The card will come with instructions on how to activate and use it.
Those who receive Economic Impact Payment by prepaid debit card can do the following without any fees:
- Make purchases online and at any retail location where Visa is accepted
- Get cash from in-network ATMs
- Transfer funds to their personal bank account
- Check their card balance online, by mobile app, or by phone
Read "What You Need to Know About Economic Impact Payments."
Learn more about Economic Impact Payment Cards.
Check the status of your stimulus payment.
- Agency: United States Department of the Treasury
- Division: Economic Impact Payment Hotline
- Phone Number: (800) 919-9835
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 7 AM - 7 PM