To apply to a specialized high school other than LaGuardia High School, you must take the Specialized High School Admissions Test (SHSAT).
Students currently in the 8th grade and first time 9th grade students are eligible to register. Students who are in the 10th, 11th, and 12th grades are not eligible to take the exam.
NYC public school students who want to take the fall exam must register with their guidance counselor. After registering, your school counselor will give you an SHSAT Test Ticket with the specific date, time, and location for your test.
Students attending non-public schools should speak to their schools directly about registering for the SHSAT.
Learn more about the specialized high school admissions test (SHSAT).
Call 311 if you need more help.
- Early September-Early October: registration period
- Mid-October: Test Ticket distribution
- October 26 and 27: 8th and 9th grade students take the test
- October 30: SHSAT testing pilot program students take the test in their school
- November 2 and November 17: students with IEPs, testing accommodations, and English Language Learners(ELL) take the test
- March 2020: High School Admissions Round One results
You can sign up to receive emails with the latest updates on specialized high school admissions, including deadlines and events.
For eligible students who did not participate in the Fall Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT), a summer SHSAT is offered in August.
You can register for the summer SHSAT in July and August at a Family Welcome Center. For locations, visit the School Enrollment Centers page.