The Parking Summons Advocate will only help with certain parking or camera violation issues.
Issues Addressed by the Advocate
The Parking Summons Advocate can help if you disputed a ticket or filed an appeal but you were found guilty even though:
- You never owned the vehicle or it was transferred before the date and time you were ticketed
- The license plate was lost or stolen before the date and time you were ticketed and you immediately filed a police report and replaced the registration plates and stickers
- The vehicle wasn’t in New York City on the date you were ticketed
- The parking ticket inaccurately described your car’s license plate number, state of registration, plate type, make or model, or body type
- The ticket is missing information, such as the date and time, address where the ticket was issued, or issuer’s signature
- The registered owner of the vehicle died before or within 90 days of when the ticket was issued
Department of Finance Response
You can get help from the Advocate if you don’t get a timely response from the Department of Finance to requests for hearings, appeals, or refunds.
You can contact the Parking Summons Advocate for help if:
- You submitted a dispute to your ticket and haven’t received a decision within 20 days
- You submitted a Parking or Camera Violation Appeal Application and haven’t received a decision within 60 days
- You submitted a Parking or Camera Violation Refund Form and haven’t received a decision within 60 days
Notice for Violation Already Paid or Dismissed
You can contact the Parking Summons Advocate for help if you keep receiving notices from the Department of Finance or a collection agency about a ticket that you already paid or already had a hearing on but for which you never received a decision.
Issues Not Addressed by the Advocate
The Advocate can’t help you if:
- You need help with a traffic ticket (moving violation)
- You are represented by an attorney or broker
- You are asking for legal advice
- You’re claiming that a NYC parking law, rule, or regulation violates the New York State or U.S. Constitution