Replace a Damaged or Not Working Card
You must first return your damaged or not working Fair Fares NYC MetroCard to get a replacement card. You can return your card any time after you discover that it is damaged or not working.
There is no replacement limit per calendar year for a card that is damaged or not working as long as you return the card.
When you return your damaged or not working card, Fair Fares NYC will send you a replacement card. Your replacement card will not have any money on it.
- Agency: Human Resources Administration
- Phone Number: (718) 557-1399
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
- Automated Assistance is available in English and Spanish 24 hours, 7 days a week. Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours, except on City Holidays. Most languages are available through a staff person.
Return Your Damaged, Not Working or Expired Card
If you need to request a replacement card because your card is damaged or not working, or if you require an immediate refund on an expired card that has money left on the card, you can return it in person or by mail.
Find a Fair Fares NYC location.
Include the following information in the envelope with your card:
- Your first and last name
- Fair Fares Client ID number (found on the Fair Fares home page in your ACCESS HRA account)
- Whether you think there is money left on the card
Send your card and the above information to:
Fair Fares NYC
PO Box 7099
New York, NY 10008-7099
Refunds for a Damaged, Not Working, or Expired Card
Refunds may be available for Fair Fares NYC MetroCards that are damaged, not working, or expired regardless of the payment method used.
If your card has expired, you can request a refund up to two years after the card expiration date. You should only return your expired card to Fair Fares NYC if there is money left on the card and you would like to request a refund.
You cannot transfer money from an expired Fair Fares NYC MetroCard to another MetroCard. MTA station agents cannot transfer the balance of your expired card to another MetroCard.
Refunds will not be processed until your card is received by the Fair Fares Program. You do not need to contact New York City Transit (NYCT) to request a refund. The Fair Fares NYC Program will contact NYCT after you return your damaged, not working, or expired card.
NYCT will conduct a review to determine the refund amount, if any.
For approved refunds, NYCT will do one of the following:
- Issue a credit back to your credit or EBT card if you paid with a credit or EBT card.
- This process takes 6-8 weeks. Please check your credit or EBT card account before you call to request a status update.
- Mail a check to your address on record with the Fair Fares NYC Program if you paid with cash or debit card
If you would like to check on the status of a refund, please call NYCT Customer Service.
- Agency: Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Division: New York City Transit Customer Service
- Phone Number: 511
- Business Hours: Daily: 6 AM - 10 PM
- Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Call volume is often high. If you don't get through, call back later.