The Fair Fares NYC MetroCard you receive will not have any time or value on it. You must add time or value on your Fair Fares NYC MetroCard to use it.
You can add time for half the regular price or add value to your card at a Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) station booth or MTA MetroCard vending machines, as follows:
- To add time, buy a 7-day unlimited pass or a 30-day unlimited pass.
- To add value, choose the dollar amount you want to add to your card and have available for Pay-Per-Ride fares.
You can add value and time on your Fair Fares NYC MetroCard at the same time. The bus fare box or subway turnstile will use the unlimited ride period first. Once the weekly unlimited or monthly unlimited ride period ends, the bus fare box or subway turnstile will start deducting half-fare if there is value on your card.
When you use the value on your Fair Fares NYC MetroCard for Pay-Per-Ride, the turnstile or bus fare box will know to charge you half the current fare. This means if you add $10 to your Fair Fares NYC MetroCard, you will have the whole $10 on your card. Each time you swipe your card, you will be only charged half the current price for a single fare.
Expiring or Expired Cards
The expiration date of your Fair Fares NYC MetroCard is printed on the back of your card. The card will not work after the expiration date. You can use your card until it expires.
If your card will expire in less than 30 days:
- You may be able to add value for Pay-Per-Ride fares or a 7-day unlimited pass.
- You cannot purchase a 30-day unlimited pass.
If your card will expire in less than 7 days:
- You may be able to add value for Pay-Per-Ride fares.
- You cannot purchase a 7-day unlimited pass.
Please note the following important information about expired Fair Fares NYC MetroCards:
- You should only return your expired card to a Fair Fares NYC location if there is money left on the card and you would like to request a refund.
- Do not give your expired card to an MTA station agent if you have money left on the card.
- MTA vending machines will not offer to exchange your card when it expires.
Public Transportation Systems
You can use your Fair Fares NYC MetroCard on:
- New York City subways
- Eligible New York City buses
- The Staten Island Railway (SIR)
You cannot use your Fair Fares NYC MetroCard on:
- Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) Express Buses
- The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)
- Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH)
- Metro-North Railroad