The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable credit that returns Federal, State, and City tax dollars to qualifying families and individuals.
Applicants for the Earned Income Tax Credit for tax year 2020 must meet the following requirements:
To qualify for the 2020 EITC, you must:
- Have earned income in 2020 through full- or part-time work or self-employment.
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
If you earned income in 2020 from investments, such as rental property or stocks, the amount must be less than $3,650 to qualify for the EITC.
If you have no children, you must be between the ages of 25 and 64.
If you are:
- Single, you must earn less than $15,820
- Married, you must file jointly and earn less than $21,710
If you have children and are:
- Single, you must earn less than $50,954
- Married, you must file jointly and earn less than $56,844
If you are a noncustodial parent (NCP) and do not live with your child, you may be eligible for the NCP/EITC on your 2020 New York State income tax return if:
- You earned less than $41,756.
- Your child support payments were up-to-date.
If you qualify, the maximum amount of credit for Tax Year 2020 is:
- $538 with no qualifying children
- $3,584 with 1 qualifying child
- $5,920 with 2 qualifying children
- $6,660 with 3 or more qualifying children