Applicants for the Earned Income Tax Credit for tax year 2018 must meet the following requirements:
To qualify for the 2018 EITC, you must:
- Have earned income in 2018 through full- or part-time work or self-employment.
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
If you earned income in 2018 from investments, such as rental property or stocks, the amount must be less than $3,500 to qualify for the EITC.
If you have no children, you must be between the ages of 25 and 64.
If you are:
- Single, you must earn less than $15,270.
- Married, you must file jointly and earn less than $20,950.
If you have children and are:
- Single, you must earn less than $49,194.
- Married, you must file jointly and earn less than $54,884.
If you qualify, the maximum amount of the Federal credit for Tax Year 2018 is:
- $519 with no qualifying children
- $3,461 with 1 qualifying child
- $5,716 with 2 qualifying children
- $6,431 with 3 or more qualifying children
- You may be eligible for additional credits on your New York State and City taxes
EITC Amended Return Notices
The Department of Finance (DOF) mailed EITC Amended Return Notices to customers that may qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit for 2018.
You can get a translated version of the notice in Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Polish, Russian, Spanish, and Urdu.