The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable credit that returns Federal, State, and City tax dollars to qualifying families and individuals.
Applicants for the Earned Income Tax Credit for tax year 2019 must meet the following requirements:
To qualify for the 2019 EITC, you must:
- Have earned income in 2019 through full- or part-time work or self-employment.
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
If you earned income in 2019 from investments, such as rental property or stocks, the amount must be less than $3,600 to qualify for the EITC.
If you have no children, you must be between the ages of 25 and 64.
If you are:
- Single, you must earn less than $15,570
- Married, you must file jointly and earn less than $21,370
If you have children and are:
- Single, you must earn less than $51,162
- Married, you must file jointly and earn less than $55,952
If you are a noncustodial parent (NCP) and do not live with your child, you may be eligible for the NCP/EITC on your 2019 New York State income tax return if:
- You earned less than $41,094.
- Your child support payments were up-to-date.
If you qualify, the maximum amount of credit for Tax Year 2019 is:
- $529 with no qualifying children
- $3,526 with 1 qualifying child
- $5,828 with 2 qualifying children
- $6,557 with 3 or more qualifying children