The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable credit that returns Federal, State, and City tax dollars to qualifying families and individuals.
To qualify for the 2018 EITC, you must:
- Have earned income in 2018 through full- or part-time work or self-employment.
- Be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
If you earned income in 2018 from investments, such as rental property or stocks, the amount must be less than $3,500 to qualify for the EITC.
If you have no children, you must be between the ages of 25 and 64.
If you are:
- Single, you must earn less than $15,270.
- Married, you must file jointly and earn less than $20,950.
If you have children and are:
- Single, you must earn less than $49,194.
- Married, you must file jointly and earn less than $54,884.
If you are a noncustodial parent (NCP) and do not live with your child, you may be eligible for the NCP/EITC on your 2018 New York State income tax return if:
- You earned less than $40,320.
- Your child support payments were up-to-date.