Need something else?

You must make an appointment to apply for a replacement card if:

  • Your IDNYC card has been lost, stolen, or damaged.
  • You need to change the name or date of birth on your card for any reason.

The following changes can be made through the IDNYC online portal:

  • Address (must upload valid proof of address)
  • Eye color
  • Gender
  • Height
  • Veteran status (must upload valid proof of service)
  • Organ donor status

Learn more about IDNYC.

There is a $10 fee to replace your lost, stolen, or damaged card.

If you cannot afford the fee, you can fill out a hardship fee waiver and submit a police report. A hardship fee waiver can be completed at any site. 

Once your application is approved, you should receive your IDNYC card in the mail approximately 14 business days after you visit an IDNYC Enrollment Center.

Pay Online

The IDNYC website will guide you through submitting a replacement card application, scheduling your appointment at any IDNYC Enrollment site, and then making your payment online.

When you make a payment online for an application to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged card, 2 receipts will be sent to the email address you provided on the IDNYC website. One receipt will be from IDNYC and the other from the Department of Finance. Both receipts will have your application confirmation number.

You can pay online using a credit card, debit card, or an e-check. There is a processing fee for credit card payments

When you go to your appointment to complete the application process at an enrollment center, you should bring one of these receipts with you. This will make it easier for IDNYC staff to look up your application. You must bring your proof of identity and residency documents to your appointment.

Applicants ages 10 to 13 cannot submit payment for replacements online. They must submit their payment in person at a Department of Finance Enrollment Center.

Visit the IDNYC web site.

Pay in Person

To begin your replacement card process:

  1. Schedule an appointment online or 311 can schedule one for you;
  2. Make your $10 payment at one of the four Department of Finance locations;
  3. Keep your $10 receipt and bring it to your scheduled appointment at an IDNYC Enrollment Center.

It is recommended that you schedule the required IDNYC appointment for your replacement card at one of the following locations to pay the $10 fee and apply on the same day:

  • Bronx Department of Finance
  • Queens Department of Finance
  • Manhattan Department of Finance
  • Staten Island Department of Finance

For all other locations, you must first make the $10.00 payment at one of the four Department of Finance locations and then bring the $10.00 receipt to your scheduled appointment at an IDNYC Enrollment Center. 

You can pay in-person by cash, money order, personal check, cashier’s check, credit card or debit card. Checks and money orders should be made out to “New York City Department of Finance.” There is a processing fee for credit card payments.

You must bring your proof of identity and residency documents to your appointment.

To correct your name or date of birth on your card, you must report your changes to IDNYC and make an appointment. There is no fee for corrections or changes. 

You must bring to your appointment:

  • Required proof of identification and residency
  • Your current IDNYC card
  • If you are updating your name on your IDNYC card, you must also bring one of the following documents proving your legal name change:
    • A Marriage Certificate
    • A Court Order establishing a name change, which includes an Order of Divorce, a Certificate of Adoption, or a Name Change Court Order

​You can schedule an appointment online or 311 can schedule one for you.

Organ Donor Designation

To remove the “Organ Donor” designation printed on your card, you can fill out an online replacement application for a change of information or make an appointment through IDNYC website or 311. 

You can fill out the application online or at the enrollment center. You must bring your current IDNYC card to the appointment. If you do not have your card, you will need to apply for a replacement of a lost or stolen card.

Removing the “Organ Donor” designation from your IDNYC card does not remove you from the New York State Donate Life Registry.

Remove Name from NYS Donate Life Registry List

You can remove your name from the registry list by filling out the removal form and sending it by email or by mail.

Download the New York State Donate Life Registry Removal form.

You can also make your request by phone.


Email the completed form to

By Mail

Send the completed form to:

New York State Donate Life Registry
185 Jordan Road
Troy, NY 12180

By Phone

  • Agency: New York State Organ and Tissue Donor Registry
  • Phone Number: (866) 693-6667
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

As of January 15, 2019, when applying for your IDNYC card, you may choose whichever gender option is most comfortable and accurate for you. You do not need to submit any “proof” of your gender identity. You may choose not to designate your gender, leaving this field blank. You may also choose the option “X” to designate a gender that is neither male nor female.

There is no charge for IDNYC cardholders who want to change the gender marker on their current card.  

Changes to gender designation can be made through the IDNYC Online Portal. An appointment at an enrollment center can assist in this replacement process. Appointments can be made through the IDNYC website or through 311.

U.S. Veterans can have “Veteran” printed on the front of the IDNYC card. To apply, you will need an original or certified copy of one of the following:

  • DD 214 - A Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty indicating an Honorable Discharge
  • DD 2 (Retired) - US Uniformed Services Identification Card (Retired)
  • Veterans Health Identification Card (VIC/VHIC)
  • NGB-22 - National Guard discharge document
  • NYS DMV Driver License or Non-Driver ID with veteran marker on it
  • Letter from the Mayor's Office of Veterans' Affairs confirming military service

If you are a U.S. veteran and want to add the Veteran Designation to the card, but do not possess a proof of veteran status document, the Department of Veterans' Services can help you get proof of service.


Visit the Department of Veterans' Services page.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

IDNYC cards are now available with a raised “IDNYC” logo on the front. This will help IDNYC cardholders who are blind or have low vision to locate their card.

Cards without “IDNYC” embossed in Braille may be replaced with a new card at no cost.

Make an appointment and visit any Enrollment Center to process a replacement.

Find an IDNYC enrollment center.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No