When you submit certain types of Service Requests through NYC311 and provide a valid email address, you will receive an email with instructions on how to add files to go with your Service Request. 311 will send all Service Requests to the appropriate Agency for action whether or not you include files.
When you submit a file successfully, the site will display a message confirming the upload worked. The appropriate Agency will review the files along with your Service Request. You will not get an email message confirming that you uploaded files.
311 does not currently send email receipts for Literature Service Requests or Service Requests taken by Agency Specialists.
Learn about NYC311 and NYC.gov file submission.
Learn about adding files to your NYC311 Service Request.
Eligible Service Requests
Currently, you can only include files with Department of Parks and Recreation's maintenance or facility complaints and Department of Transportation's streets and sidewalks complaints. You must upload files within 24 hours after you submit the Service Request.
A Service Request may be ineligible for file uploads because:
- The particular Service Request is not currently in the file pilot program
- The Agency has closed the Service Request
- More than 24 hours have passed since you created the Service Request
- You have already added files
File Size and Format Requirements
For the upload to be successful, your files must meet the following guidelines:
- There is no size limit for each individual file, but the combined size of all files must be under 3 MB
- You can upload up to three files per Service Request
- Files can be in the following formats:
- Video: mov, mpg, mp4, avi, wmv, 3gp, 3g2, rm
- Audio: mp3, mp2, wav, wma, aac, ra
- Pictures: jpg, png, gif, bmp, tif
- You will not be able to upload files that are infected with viruses
The 311 File Upload webpage lets you know if your media upload was successful. To access the page, open the email 311 sent you with instructions on how to upload files. Click on the link to the Upload page.