Need something else?

If you need IDNYC information that is not available through 311, or if you have a complaint about IDNYC, 311 will forward your question or comment. 

IDNYC Customer Service staff will respond within 14 business days if you:

  • Want to check the status of your application, if it is more than 14 business days after you applied at an Enrollment Center.
  • Need to update your card. An appointment is required to change information on your card.
  • Received notification that your application was denied.
  • Made a complaint about the IDNYC program, employees, or benefits.
  • Have a question about an online payment for a replacement card or want to know if you are eligible for a refund for the online payment.

You may also submit a compliment.

If you are interested in hosting an IDNYC pop-up enrollment center, 311 can forward your request to IDNYC.

IDNYC cannot accept requests for their mobile enrollment center bus to visit a specific location.


By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

You can start to check your application status online the day after you apply.

You should receive your IDNYC card in the mail approximately 14 business days after you visit an Enrollment Center. If you have not received your card after 14 business days, 311 can forward your information to IDNYC and a staff member will contact you. You should provide your application number from the receipt given to you at the Enrollment Center. 

Enrollment Centers do not have information about your application status.

Check application status.

If you applied for a card that won't include an address, you should return to that Enrollment Center to pick up your card after 14 business days, unless you are an applicant between the ages of 10 to 13. If you applied for that card at a temporary Enrollment Center, the Enrollment Specialist should have told you where to pick up your card.

If you are between the ages of 10 to 13 and chose not to have your address printed on your card, your card will still be mailed to your home address.

If you have questions, 311 can forward your information to IDNYC and a staff member will contact you. You should provide your IDNYC Number from the receipt given to you at the Enrollment Center.


By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

The IDNYC card is an official, government-issued identification document that is accepted by local law enforcement and New York City agencies. To maintain the integrity standards of the program, all applicants must present photo ID.

IDNYC accepts many kinds of reliable photo IDs, including foreign identity cards and passports. They also allow applicants ages 21 and under, as well as applicants of all ages who have physical, intellectual or developmental disabilities, to apply without a photo ID if they are accompanied by a caretaker. You can find a full list of photo ID documents accepted on IDNYC's website, and IDNYC staff can help you review what documents are accepted for photo ID at an enrollment center.

Learn more about IDNYC.

On December 2, 2019, a new portal will be launched to allow IDNYC cardholders to renew their cards online.

IDNYC cards expire after five years, and with the fifth anniversary of the IDNYC program approaching, the program has created a streamlined and flexible renewal process.

Beginning on December 2, 2019, New Yorkers whose IDNYC is expiring in less than 60 days will be eligible to renew their IDNYC card.  They can renew through the online portal or they may also choose to renew in-person at an Enrollment Center. 

Most card changes will be able to be updated through the online portal, including change of address and adding a gender designation. For change of address, cardholders may be asked to upload and submit scanned residency documents. For changes to a cardholder’s name, height, or eye color, renewals must be completed in-person at an Enrollment Center.

U.S. Veterans can have “Veteran” printed on the front of the IDNYC card. To apply, you will need an original or certified copy of one of the following:

  • DD 214 - A Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty indicating an Honorable Discharge
  • DD 2 (Retired) - US Uniformed Services Identification Card (Retired)
  • Veterans Health Identification Card (VIC/VHIC)
  • NGB-22 - National Guard discharge document
  • NYS DMV Driver License or Non-Driver ID with veteran marker on it
  • Letter from the Mayor's Office of Veterans' Affairs confirming military service

If you are a U.S. veteran and want to add the Veteran Designation to the card, but do not possess a proof of veteran status document, the Department of Veterans' Services can help you get proof of service.


Visit the Department of Veterans' Services page.

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

Organ Donor Designation

To remove the “Organ Donor” designation printed on your card, you must fill out an application for a change of information on your card, and make an appointment at an enrollment center where you will complete the replacement process. You can make the appointment on the IDNYC website, or 311 can make it for you.

You can fill out the application online or at the enrollment center. You must bring your current IDNYC card to the appointment. If you do not have your card, you will need to apply for a replacement for a lost or stolen card.

New York State Donate Life Registry

Removing the “Organ Donor” designation from your IDNYC card does NOT remove you from the New York State Donate Life Registry. You can remove your name from the registry list by doing one of the following:


Email the New York State Donate Life Registry Removal Form to

By Mail

Send the New York State Donate Life Registry Removal Form to:

The New York State Donate Life Organ and Tissue Donor Registry 
New York State Department of Health 
875 Central Avenue, Albany, NY 12206

By Phone

  • Agency: New York State Organ and Tissue Donor Registry
  • Phone Number: (866) 693-6667
  • Business Hours: Mon - Fri: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM