If you are a minor and would like to work, you can apply for working papers. You can get an application from a local public high school.

You must complete the form and return it to your school with the following information:

  • Parent or guardian's signature
  • Birth or baptismal record
  • Doctor's note proving fitness to work

If you are on school vacation or do not attend school, you can get working paper forms and assistance at the school nearest your home.

You can get more information about the application process.


Learn more about working papers.

By Phone

  • Agency: New York State Department of Labor
  • Division: Division of Labor Standards Local Office
  • Phone Number: (888) 469-7365
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
  • Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Call volume is often high. If you don't get through, call back later.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No