Need something else?

You must contact a licensed plumber to have water service restored or shut off for residential or commercial property.

If you are moving into a home or commercial space with no water service, you must contact a licensed plumber to have water service restored.

If you are a property owner and need to have your water service shut off, you have to contact a licensed plumber. The plumber will dig in the street to break the property's water service line connection to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) water main. Water charges will stop when the connection to the water main is broken.

The City does not provide a water shut off service.

Temporary Shut Off

If you want to shut off your water temporarily, you can close the house control valve to stop water from flowing while you repair leaks or do renovations. You should have your plumber turn the water back on after repairs are completed.

Your property will continue to be charged for being connected to DEP water mains, but you may be billed at the current minimum billing rate.

You can get more information by phone.

  • Agency: Department of Environmental Protection
  • Division: Bureau of Customer Services Water Meter Services and Billing
  • Phone Number: (718) 595-7000
  • Business Hours: Monday: 8 AM - 7 PM; Tuesday - Friday: 8 AM - 6 PM; Saturday: 9 AM - 12 PM

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No