Need something else?

The City regulates truck traffic and provides information about truck routes and regulations.

The New York City Traffic Rules' definition of commercial vehicles and trucks determines how you can operate your vehicle on City roadways.

  • Truck: Any vehicle or combination of vehicles designed to transport property that has 2 axles and 6 tires or 3 or more axles. At least one of the vehicles has commercial plates.
  • Commercial Vehicle: Any vehicle with commercial plates that has been permanently altered so it can transport property. The vehicle must have the registrant's name on the door or side panels. 

Learn more about truck and commercial vehicle classifications.

Business Name on Commercial Vehicle

The registrant's name and a physical address must be permanently affixed on both sides of the vehicle, in characters at least three inches high, and be placed approximately midway (vertically) on the doors and side panels. The color of the display must contrast with the color of the vehicle.

Advertising on Motor Vehicles

Advertising on motor vehicles used merely for the purpose of commercial advertising is prohibited. Advertising that relates to the vehicle’s normal delivery or business purposes is allowed.

No part of an advertising notice may be reflectorized, illuminated or animated.  Advertising notices may not be placed on top of the vehicle, and objects may not be put on the vehicle for commercial advertising purposes.  Exceptions may include vehicles licensed by the New York City Tax and Limousine Commission, some buses and some Department of Sanitation vehicles.

You can get a copy of the Department of Transportation's Traffic Rules, Section 4-13: Truck Routes. 

This guide provides the City's truck regulations and all of its truck routes.


Learn about truck routes and regulations.

By Mail

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to request a paper or translated copy.

Truck Route Requests

The City does not provide truck routes via telephone.

Companies operating commercial vehicles that are transporting passengers or hauling cargo into New York City must travel on specific roadways.  To locate these specific streets and obtain information about trucks and commercial vehicles traveling within New York City, visit the Department of Transportation web site or request a copy of the New York City Truck Route Map.

Oversized vehicles are required to have an Over-Dimensional Permit issued by the Department of Transportation. The permit will designate a specific truck route, if necessary.

The New York City Truck Route Map shows where trucks and other commercial vehicles are allowed to drive. 

You can download a copy of the Truck Route Map or view the interactive map online. 

Printed copies of the map are only available by mail. If you are ordering on behalf of a business or for a large group, you may place a bulk order. Requests of over 100 copies require a company or group name and a valid contact telephone number.


Download the Truck Route Map.

View the interactive Truck Route Map.

By Mail

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to request a paper or translated copy.

You can get a brochure about New York State Parkway's truck routes and regulations.


Download the New York Parkways route brochure.

Learn more about parkway restrictions.

By Mail

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to request a paper or translated copy.

All trucks registered in New York State that qualify as commercial vehicles and operate on New York City streets must have cross over mirrors.

Cross over mirrors are convex mirrors that are installed on the front of a truck and allow the driver to see any object that is at least 3 feet tall that passes within 1 foot in front of the truck. The mirror also allows the driver to see the entire width of the front of the truck.

Section 375 of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law contains specific information about this law.

Learn more about NYC policies pertaining to trucks, commercial vehicles, and cross over mirrors.

Request a Flyer

You can download or request a flyer about cross over mirrors from the Department of Transportation.

The flyer is also available in:

  • Mandarin Chinese
  • Italian
  • Korean
  • Spanish
  • Haitian Creole
  • Russian

Translated flyers are only available by mail. Please allow 30 days to receive the translated flyer.


Download a flyer about cross over mirror regulations.

By Mail

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to request a paper or translated copy.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No