You can get school records and transcripts for current and former public school students.

Former students of New York City Public Schools can get copies of their school records. You can request the records by contacting the school you last attended. 

If that school no longer exists, a Department of Education representative can assist you further.


Get more information including the form to request student records.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

If you are the parent or guardian of a current student, you can request copies of school records for your child by contacting the principal of the school your child attends. You should get the records within 45 days of your request.

Teachers and other school staff members must have a specific educational reason to request a student's records.


Look up information for a public school.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.



[12146 M-F: 8A-6P]

Non-Custodial Parents

If a non-custodial parent requests access to the child's student records, the principal will notify the custodial parent, guardian, or institution where the child lives.  The principal will give the name of the person making the request and the date of the request. 

The custodial parent has 45 days to tell the school about any legal documents that say the non-custodial parent can't see the records.

If there are no legal documents preventing it, the non-custodial parent will get the documents after the 45 day period.

Student Record Change

Custodial parents may request a change to a student's educational record to correct information that is inaccurate, misleading, or in violation of the student's privacy.  Put the request in writing and address it to the principal or the head of the school's records office.

You should get a response within 15 school days.

Transfer of School Records

Schools do not need a parent's permission to give student records to another school or educational institution. The school will try to notify the parent when it releases records.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No