Need something else?

Special education services are available in most public schools for students between the ages of 3 and 21. Services are provided to students with a range of special needs, from the most mild to the most severe.

Most special education students attend classes with students not in the special education program. Some special education students attend self-contained special education classes in general education schools, and others attend special education schools in District 75.

You can learn more about special education services by speaking to the school principal or parent coordinator at your child's current school. You can also get more information through the Special Education Hotline.

Learn more about special education.

Get contact information for your child's school to reach the parent coordinator.

  • Agency: Department of Education
  • Division: Special Education Hotline
  • Phone Number: (718) 935-2007
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

Before a student can receive special education and services for the first time, the student must get individual initial evaluation through the Committee on Special Education.

The evaluation helps staff determine educational needs and services the student will be able to receive.

Student with a Disability

A student with a disability means a student who:

  • Has been identified as a person with a mental, physical, or emotional disability
  • Requires special services and programs approved by the City
  • Is still under age 21 at the beginning of the school year (September 1st)
  • Is allowed to attend public schools under the Education Law

Individualized Education Program (IEP)

Special education services are provided to students based on individual needs.

Individualized Education Programs (IEP) are set up to address the student's personal and educational needs that result from the student's disability, to ensure success in the general education curriculum.

The Department of Education (DOE) provides families with Translated Individualized Education Programs (TIEPs) in any language at no cost.

Eligible families must have a child with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) who is currently school-aged (DOE or Charter K-12) or is turning 5 years old in the current calendar year.

If eligible, families may request a translation of the IEP at their child’s school or by submitting a request online or by phone. Once the TIEP is completed, the school’s IEP team will arrange delivery to the requesting family.


Submit an IEP translation request.

By Phone

  • Agency: Department of Education
  • Division: Translation and Interpretation Unit
  • Phone Number: (718) 935-2013
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No