NYC Civil Court launched an online dispute resolution (ODR) pilot program in Manhattan Civil Court for eligible small claims matters. The pilot is designed to help parties file, negotiate, and settle cases online without physically appearing in court.
- Helps parties resolve disputes quickly
- Provides guided assistance throughout the small claims process
- Offers greater flexibility and convenience
- Protects health and safety of by minimizing courthouse traffic during the pandemic
You may be eligible for ODR if:
- The dispute is related to the purchase or sale of goods or services
- The amount of the claim is $10,000 or less
- The case is filed in the Small Claims Part of the Manhattan Civil Court
- Both parties are not represented by an attorney
How it Works
You can file a case online with the online dispute resolution platform. Court staff will screen for eligibility, and if the case is accepted, you will have the opportunity to negotiate a settlement, get free mediation services, and resolve the case online before a virtual court hearing.
If you file in person, your case will also be screened for eligibility. If eligible, parties will be referred to register their case on the ODR website. If you're not comfortable with technology or have accessibility or language concerns, you can opt out.
Learn more and file a case with the online dispute resolution platform.