To protest the quality or cost of a sidewalk repair made by New York City, the property owner should write to the Department of Design and Construction (DDC) office, specifically stating the nature of the disagreement. The DDC should respond to an appeal within 30 business days.

If the response by the Department of Design and Construction is not satisfactory, you should then file a Notice of Claim with the Office of the Comptroller.

If the Comptroller does not rule in the property owner's favor, a Petition of Appeal must be filed with the Small Claims Assessment Review at the New York State Supreme Court.


Get information about protesting a sidewalk repair.

By Mail

Manhattan Borough Office
40 Worth Street, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10013
(Between West Broadway and Church Street)

Queens Borough Office
30-30 Thomson Avenue
Long Island City, NY 11101
(Between 30 Place and 31 Street)

A Notice of Claim form is available at the Borough Office of Construction offices.

The Notice of Claim must be filed with the Comptroller within one year of the billing date for work made on the sidewalk.

Petition of Appeal Forms for the New York State Supreme Court are located at the County Clerk's offices.

The form must be filed at least 30 days after the Notice of Claim was presented to the Comptroller and the Comptroller did not make any bill adjustments.


The forms are free of charge, but there is a $25 filing fee.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No