New York City provides information and a fact sheet about how to clean a home after a flood or sewage overflow.
It is important to thoroughly clean and disinfect inside your home after a flood or sewage overflow. Flood water may contain sewage water and germs. Direct exposure may infect your eyes, skin, stomach or intestines.
These basic clean-up guidelines and health precautions are recommended:
- Do not eat or drink anything exposed to flood or sewer water.
- Wear rubber boots, gloves and protective goggles during cleanup.
- Discard any clothing or household items that can't be thoroughly cleaned, disinfected and dried.
- Keep children, pets and people with compromised immune systems out of contaminated areas until cleanup is complete.
- Seek professional cleaning help for homes with extensive flood damage.
Learn more about flooding and sewer backup.