You can learn how to request for the Sheriff's Office to serve legal papers.

You can also learn how to serve papers on the Department of Finance (DOF) or on an incarcerated person in Department of Correction (DOC) custody.

You can request to have legal papers served by the Sheriff. Examples of legal papers include:

  • Orders of Protection
  • Processes
  • Subpoenas
  • Summonses

You must submit your request with the required documents by mail or in person at a NYC Sheriff Office in the borough where the service is to be made. You must include in your request:

A check or money order payable to "NYC Sheriff" is also required. The amount of the fee, including any additional fees, depends on the legal papers being served.

Get information about the serving process.

Get more information and download forms.

Offices of the Sheriff

Offices of the Sheriff are open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM. 

Office of the Sheriff - New York County
Department of Finance
66 John Street, 13th Floor (between Dutch and William Streets)
New York, NY 10038

Office of the Sheriff - Kings County
Department of Finance
345 Adams Street, 5th Floor (between Johnson and Willoughby Streets)
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Office of the Sheriff - Bronx County
Department of Finance
3030 Third Avenue, 2nd Floor (between East 155 and 156 Streets)
Bronx, NY 10455

Office of the Sheriff - Queens County 
Department of Finance
3010 Starr Avenue (between Borden Avenue and 31st Place)
Queens, NY 11101

Office of the Sheriff - Richmond County
Department of Finance
350 St. Marks Place, Room 409 (between Hyatt Street and Victory Boulevard)
Staten Island, NY 10301

To serve legal papers on the New York City Department of Finance (DOF), you can go to:

Manhattan DOF Business Center
66 John Street, 2nd Floor, Room 104
New York, NY 10038

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

To serve legal papers on the Department of Social Services (DSS), you can go to:

DSS Office of Legal Affairs
150 Greenwich Steet, 38th Floor
New York, NY 10007

Hours: Monday - Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM, excluding holidays.

DSS is comprised of the NYC Human Resources Administration and the NYC Department of Homeless Services.

The Department of Correction will assist you if you need to serve legal documents on an incarcerated person in their custody.

Court papers about child custody are an example of the type of legal documents that can be served.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No