Need something else?

If a child has moved and requires a new school:

If you want to transfer your child to a different public school, you can discuss the need for transfer with a staff member at your child's school, at a Family Welcome Center, or at a Temporary Enrollment Site.

Schools are required to meet with families to review transfer requests and provide supporting documentation when a transfer is warranted. Parents must then bring the required documentation to a Family Welcome Center or a Temporary Enrollment Site. Once the completed documents are submitted, staff will review the request, and if approved, will identify a different placement that addresses the request.

Generally, transfers are granted for documented travel, safety, or medical hardship.


Learn more about transfer requests.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.



[67003 M-F: 8A-6P]

Family Welcome Center

If assistance is not available through a guidance counselor, you can get assistance at a Family Welcome Center.

Transfer to School Outside NYC

To transfer your child to a school outside New York City, contact the school that your child is going to attend.

If your child is enrolled in a school identified as "in need of improvement," you can apply to transfer them to a different public school. If your child is eligible, you will receive a letter with application instructions in the spring.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No