Need something else?

You can report fights or other safety issues not related to building maintenance in a public school by phone. If public school students were involved, you can also report fights that took place off school property.

The Department of Education reviews and addresses anonymous complaints. If you do not provide information about yourself, they will not be able to contact you to follow up.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to report the problem.

School Safety Plans

Every school has a Safety Plan. The Department of Education and the Police Department review, update, and approve these plans each year.
Teachers or UFT Chapter Leaders should report Safety Plan violations to the principal right away.

Office of School Safety and Planning

The Office of School Safety and Planning monitors and provides assistance to schools with safety issues. The office manages safety planning, emergency preparedness, and the school Discipline Code for the school system.

School Safety Committee members include:

  • School principal
  • Principal of any other program operating in the building
  • UFT chapter leader
  • Custodial engineer
  • In-house School Safety Level III
  • Police precinct commanding officer
  • Parent association president
  • School dietician
  • Student body representative
  • Any other person the committee considers essential

The School Safety Agent must prepare an incident report which includes student names for the following: felonies, misdemeanors, and incidents involving weapons, controlled substances, and criminal gang-related activities. Reports don't include student names for incidents involving non-criminal trespassing, loitering, disorderly conduct, and harassment.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No