If you have not been paid by a contractor or subcontractor as agreed upon for doing a public improvement project with a mayoral New York City agency, you may file a notice of lien for the value of the labor and materials against them.

When a lien has been filed, the Department of Finance (DOF) will withhold up to one and one half times the stated value of the lien from the City's payments to the contractor for one year. After a year, the lien will expire unless it is extended by filing a Notice of Extension.

You may file a notice of lien after you have provided the labor or materials. You have 30 days from the time the project is accepted by the mayoral agency - regardless of when your work was finished - to file your Mechanic's Lien on a public project in New York City.

To foreclose on your public improvement lien, it will be necessary to commence a legal action against the City, the contractor, and any other claimants against the contractor. We advise that you consult with legal counsel.

Authorities such as Transit, Housing, and School Construction handle their own liens. You should file the appropriate documents directly with them.

You can get more information, including the list of liens that have been docketed or processed.

Learn more about the Public Improvement (Mechanic's) Lien.

View the Public Improvement Lien Docket.

To file a notice of lien, you must complete the Public Improvement Lien Form. You must also sign and notarize both the Lien Form and the Affidavit of Service.

You can submit everything to DOF by mail or in person.

By Mail

NYC Department of Finance
Collections Division
OCA/External Inquiry Unit
59 Maiden Lane, 24th Floor
New York, NY 10038 

In Person

Manhattan DOF Business Center
66 John Street (between Dutch and William Streets)
New York, NY 10038
Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

Learn more about the Manhattan Business Center.

The Public Improvement Lien Form is available online or by mail.


Download the Public Improvement Lien Form.

By Mail

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to request a copy.

You may contact DOF if you need more information.


Contact the Department of Finance.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No