Cash Assistance clients must participate in work, education, or training programs to get benefits.
The New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA) will refer you to a program based on your individual situation. The staff will help match you to career, education, and/or training opportunities that fit your needs.
Career Services are provided through the following programs:
- CareerCompass: Works with adult clients to assess their skills and experience, and helps in finding employment, training, or education programs as well as internship and community service opportunities that suit their skills and goals.
- CareerAdvance: Offers career, education, and training services in specific industries and neighborhoods in New York City, or to groups such as those with limited English proficiency or older adults.
- YouthPathways: Works with clients ages 18 to 24 to assess their skills and experience; provides career, education, and training services; and helps clients find programs, including internships and community service, tailored to the needs of a younger population.
- Business Link: Works to match employers with job seekers who have the critical skills needed to fill their employment vacancies. The program hosts several Job Fairs during the year and offers job opening alerts by text message through TXT-2-Work.
- TXT-2-Work: Business Link service that allows you to sign up to receive text messages about new job openings.
You must keep your CareerCompass, CareerAdvance, YouthPathways, or other mandatory HRA appointments. If you do not go to these appointments, your Cash Assistance benefits may be lowered or stopped. Your SNAP (Food Stamps) benefits may also be lowered or stopped if you do not go to these appointments or if you do not do what the program requires for at least 30 hours each week.
If you cannot make an upcoming appointment, call the telephone number on your appointment letter BEFORE the appointment date to reschedule with the Career Services provider if possible.
Visit HRA's Career Services page.
Learn more about Business Link.
Register to receive job opening alerts through TXT-2-Work or by email.
- Agency: Human Resources Administration
- Phone Number: (718) 557-1399
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
- Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish. Most languages are available through a staff person.