If you live in Central Brooklyn, you may qualify for free doula services with Healthy Start Brooklyn's "By My Side Birth Support Program." Doulas are trained childbirth assistants that support women and their partners before, during, and after birth.
Healthy Start Brooklyn provides education and support for:
- Healthy living
This special program focuses on central and eastern Brooklyn, specifically, the neighborhoods of:
- East New York
If you live in other areas of Brooklyn or other boroughs, you can contact organizations that provide free doula services through the Healthy Women, Healthy Futures program.
Learn more about free doula services in New York City.
Programs for Pregnant Women and Parents:
- Home visiting for first-time pregnant women.
- Home visiting for pregnant women or new parents up to 3 months after the birth.
- “Sister Friend” support for pregnant women.
- “Centering Pregnancy” group care for pregnant women.
- Early-childhood and parent-education program for families with a child up to age 2.
Healthy Start Brooklyn’s classes are open to all.
Classes are held at various locations in Brownsville, Bedford-Stuyvesant, and East New York, and include:
- In the Circle Fathers’ Program (fatherhood education and parenting classes)
- Childbirth Education Classes
- Newborn Care Classes
- Infant Safety/CPR Classes
- Parenting skills workshops (parents of babies or toddlers)
- "Dancing thru Pregnancy"
- "Move It, Mama!" (postpartum fitness; babies are welcome)
Bereavement Support: Support for the loss of a pregnancy or child.
Doula Services Contact Information
By My Side Birth Support Program
Healthy Women, Healthy Futures Program with Ancient Song Doulas
Brooklyn Perinatal Network
(718) 643-8258 x21
The Bronx Health Link
Northern Manhattan Perinatal Partnership
(212) 665-2600 x353
Queens Comprehensive Perinatal Council
(718) 206-4357 x203
Community Health Center of Richmond
(917) 830-0636 x7507
Caribbean Women’s Health Association
(718) 826-2942 x202