You will receive a certificate of release from the Department of Defense if you're:

  • A veteran of the United States Armed Forces who was discharged from Active Duty service
  • A veteran of the National Guard and Reserve components who completed Basic Training, Advance Individualized Training (AIT), and/or who were activated for a tour of Active Duty service

This certificate of release is the Department of Defense Form 214 (DD 214).

You can request a copy of DD 214 from the U.S. National Archives and Records Administration online or by mail.


Request a copy of your DD 214 form.

By Mail

You can submit a request by filling out, and mailing a Standard Form 180 (SF 180), to the appropriate address listed on the form.

If you would like to pick up a SF 180 form in person, you can visit the NYC Department of Veterans Services between the hours of 10 AM and 4 PM, Monday through Friday except on federal holidays. They are located at:

1 Centre Street
Suite 2208
New York, NY 10007

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No