Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

In-person marriage officiant registrations are not available until further notice. You can submit an application to the City Clerk's Office online or by mail.

If you choose to submit your application online, you must finish the application process by mailing your completed application, required documents, and fee to:

City Clerk of New York
141 Worth Street
New York, NY 10013

You can get more information on the City Clerk's website, including examples of required documents and a copy of the application form.

Learn more about Marriage Officiant registration.

Clergy, judges, and other qualified people must register with the Office of the City Clerk before they can perform marriage ceremonies in New York City.

You must register in person at the Manhattan Office of the City Clerk, located at 141 Worth Street. Marriage officiant registration takes place on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 9 AM to 1 PM and from 2 PM to 3:30 PM.

You can also begin the registration process by applying online. However, the application must be completed in person at the Manhattan Office of the City Clerk.

The registration fee is $15. You can pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express), debit card (Visa, MasterCard), or money order made payable to the City Clerk.

Online Application

You can begin the registration process through City Clerk Online.

When you submit a Marriage Officiant Registration Application online, you will get a confirmation number. Bring your confirmation number along with payment, proper identification, and any additional required documentation to the Office of the City Clerk. You can also mail in the application materials along with payment.

Online applications expire after 21 days. If you do not complete the application at the Office of the City Clerk before then, you will need to submit a new application.

Members of Universal Life Church

Members of the Universal Life Church may register as marriage officiants at the Office of the City Clerk.

You can get more information from the Office of the City Clerk.


Learn more about marriage officiant registration, including eligibility and required documents.

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

You can check if a Marriage Officiant is registered with the Office of the City Clerk.

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No