If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment.

Before you get married in a foreign country, you can get a Certificate of Non-Impediment to prove you are not already married. The Office of the City Clerk issues the Certificate on your sworn statement alone. The City of New York assumes no liability for the information. 

To qualify for a Certificate of Non-Impediment, you must reside within New York City and must not presently be married.

You can only get a Certificate of Non-Impediment in person at the Manhattan City Clerk Office location. You can also begin the application process online. However, the application must be completed in person at the City Clerk Office.

You can schedule an appointment and get other assistance by contacting the City Clerk Online. The office is not providing walk-in service.

The fee is $15. There is also a fee of $15 for any corrections after it is issued. You can pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express), debit card (Visa, MasterCard), or money order made payable to the City Clerk.

You must provide the following:

  • Valid identification 
  • Proof that you are a New York City resident
  • Full name of your future spouse
  • Town or city and country where the ceremony will be performed
  • A ceremony date or month (must be within six months of getting the Certificate)

The Certificate of Non-Impediment is valid for six months after the Clerk issues it.

Online Application

You can begin the application process through City Clerk Online. When you submit the application, you will get a confirmation number. Bring your confirmation number along with payment, proper identification, and any additional required documentation to the Manhattan Office of the City Clerk.

Online applications expire after 21 days. If you do not complete the application at the Office of the City Clerk before then, you will need to submit a new application.

Manhattan City Clerk Office

City Clerk offices are not providing walk-in services. You must make an appointment by phone or online at nyc.gov/cupid.

Municipal Building
141 Worth Street (between Centre Street and Hamill Place)
New York, NY 10013
Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 3:45 PM

You can get more information from the Office of the City Clerk.


Learn more about getting a Certificate of Non-Impediment.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No