If you are a former inmate, you can get help finding a job, housing, health care, and other services from community-based organizations.

Jail release programs such as Jails to Jobs and the Community Re-Entry Assistance Network (CRAN) provide services and support to recently released inmates in multiple areas:

  • Case management
  • Help accessing social service benefits, like SNAP and Medicaid
  • Employment assistance, including short-term paid employment
  • Education and job training
  • Housing
  • Mental, behavioral, and physical health care
  • Help for people living with or at risk for HIV/AIDS
  • Substance use treatment
  • Family support and reunification
  • Legal assistance

Programs may have different eligibility and intake requirements. Some groups will only accept clients who have a recommendation from their parole or probation officer.

Use Site Finder to search for Jail Release Services. Find a community-based organization near you, then call ahead to confirm the services offered and the hours of operation. Many sites accept walk-ins, but calling ahead is preferred.

Additional Referrals

You can get more information and referrals through:

The College Initiative program helps former inmates enroll in and graduate from college. The program is run by the Prisoner Reentry Institute (PRI) at CUNY John Jay College.

You need a high school diploma or equivalency to participate. You can get more information about the program.


Learn more about the College Initiative program.

Contact the Prison Reentry Institute.

By Phone

  • Agency: City University of New York
  • Division: College Initiative Program Intake and Support Services Coordinator
  • Phone Number: (212) 393-6010
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No