Need something else?

If you owe property taxes or other property-related charges for an extended period of time, your property can become subject to an In Rem Foreclosure. If taxes and charges remain unpaid, you may lose your property.

Warning Notices

Before starting the In Rem Foreclosure process, the Department of Finance (DOF) mails multiple notices to the mailing address on record and to anyone else who has registered to receive that property’s tax bills. These notices include detailed contact information so the recipient can respond easily.

If the property owner or interested parties contact DOF or HPD during this time, additional penalties and foreclosure can be avoided. The property owner is then given the choice of either paying the full amount owed or entering into a payment agreement.

Unresponsive Owners

If the owner doesn’t respond to the notices, DOF and HPD will file foreclosure documents with the New York State Supreme Court to begin the foreclosure process. Owners can still enter into a payment agreement at this time, but penalties will be added.

If owners continue to be unresponsive, they will receive a Notice of Final Judgment. These owners can still avoid foreclosure at this time by entering into a payment agreement and paying a large portion of the amount owed.

Foreclosed Properties

After an In Rem Foreclosure, the title of your property is sold or transferred to a new property owner who then renovates or resolves the outstanding bills and violations. This is done so that properties can be improved and better used for affordable housing.

Learn more about the In Rem Foreclosure process.

Payment Plans

If you have overdue property taxes, you may be eligible to set up a payment plan, so you can pay what you owe in installments instead of all at once.

You can learn more on the Property Tax Payment Plan page.

Military Service Member Debt Relief

If you are an active member of the military (or a representative of one), you can request relief from property tax debt.

Debt relief is provided under the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act.

To be eligible, you must be one of the following:

  • An active member of the military
  • A reservist ordered to report for induction or for military service
  • A service member's spouse or registered domestic partner
  • A service member's dependent, such as an unmarried child under the age of 18, an unmarried child and full-time student between ages 18 to 23, or others for whom the service member provided at least 50% of their support for 180 days before the date of the application.

You can learn more on the Debt Relief for Military Service Members page.

If you have an interest in a property, you can register with the Department of Finance to receive a Notice of Foreclosure for an In Rem property or properties.

Learn more about the In Rem Foreclosure process.

Need more help?

If you have already contacted the Department of Finance about an issue and were unable to resolve it, visit the Taxpayer Advocate page to learn how to get help.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No