Need something else?

  • Business Tax Assistance for help with payment issues, copies of filed returns, audits, and notices of unpaid taxes.

Guests who occupy a hotel, motel, bed-and-breakfast, boarding house, or transient club, apartment or room pay the Hotel Room Occupancy Tax to the hotel operators or remarketers (when a room has been purchased from an intermediary). The hotel operators turn this money over to the Department of Finance (DOF).

The tax is based on the cost of the room.

A private house in which a room is rented is not considered a hotel.

Learn more about the Hotel Room Occupancy Tax.

The following are exempt from paying this tax:

  • A permanent resident who lives in the building more than 180 days. (The resident cannot rent the space to a sub-lessee or sell it to a new owner for any of those 180 days.)
  • New York State
  • Public Corporations
  • Political subdivisions of the State
  • The United States
  • The United Nations
  • A Not-For-Profit corporation formed and used exclusively for religious, charitable or educational purposes or to prevent cruelty to children or animals

The Hotel Room Occupancy Tax rate of 5.875% went into effect on December 20, 2013. It is still in effect.

You must use one of the following forms to file the Hotel Room Occupancy Tax.

  • HTX
  • HTXB

Get HTX forms.


You can file and pay the tax through Business Tax e-Services.

You can pay by:

  • Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) withdrawn directly from your bank
  • E-check
  • Credit card (American Express, Master Card, VISA, and Discover)
  • Debit card (VISA and Master Card debit cards that don’t require the entry of a PIN number to complete a transaction)

There is a 2% convenience fee for paying by credit or debit card. There is no convenience fee for paying by EFT or e-check.

To pay online, you will need the notice number from your bill (first 13 digits) plus the billing zip code.

If there is a debit block on the bank account and you wish to pay online or by using software, the number needed to release the block is 6136400434.

Access Business Tax e-Services.

By Mail

You can file the tax forms by mail. If there's a balance due, you can also send a payment by mail.

For all returns, except returns claiming a refund, mail the tax form to:

NYC Department of Finance
P.O. Box 5564
Binghamton, NY 13902-5564

Don't send payments to this address.

After you have mailed the form, if you owe a payment, mail the check and the payment voucher to:

NYC Department of Finance
P.O. Box 3933
New York, NY 10008-3933

If you are claiming a refund, mail the form to:

NYC Department of Finance
P.O. Box 5563
Binghamton, NY 13902-5563

Large Hotel Operators

  • For the Tax Period December 1 to February 28, the due date is March 20th
  • For the Tax Period March 1 to May 31, the due date is June 20th
  • For the Tax Period June 1 to August 31, the due date is September 20th
  • For the Tax Period September 1 to November 30, the due date is December 20th

Small Hotel Operators

For the tax year beginning March 1st and ending February 28th, small operators (hotels with fewer than 10 rooms) must file by March 20th, in the month after the close of the tax year.

If you don't file your return or pay the tax by the deadline, you will be charged interest.

From April 1, 2024 to June 30, 2024, the interest rate is 12%.

You can request a refund for overpayment of the Hotel Room Occupancy Tax by completing an amended return.

The Department of Finance doesn't pay interest on refunds for this tax.

Get HTX forms.

Certificate of Registration

Every operator of a hotel or a small facility and every room remarketer must file a Certificate of Registration with DOF within three days of opening. You can get the Certificate of Registration application online.

Get HTX forms.

Certificate of Authority

Five days after receiving the hotel's Certificate of Registration, DOF will send the filer a Certificate of Authority. This Certificate gives the hotel the right to collect the tax and must be displayed in the hotel in plain sight. Internet remarketers must display the Certificate of Authority on their website.

You can get answers to questions about the tax or help with filing and paying.

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) for help.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No