Need something else?

The Department of Transportation (DOT) requires a Construction Debris or Commercial Refuse Container permit to place a dumpster or debris container on a City street or sidewalk.

The debris or refuse container must be of commercial grade. It must also have a DOT permit before it is placed on the City street or sidewalk. Permits must be obtained by a carting company or general contractor, not by the property or business owner. 

Each permit allows the placement of one refuse container.

Learn more about the commercial refuse container permit.

Apply for a commercial refuse container permit.

Worksites such as a major street or building renovation that require a Department of Buildings permit are eligible for a Construction Debris Container Permit. These dumpsters are typically 20 or 40 yard containers or numerous mini containers that are stored on the street for up to 90 days.

Construction Debris Container Permits are available to carting companies registered with DOT or registered general contractors. Permits must be posted at the worksite for the duration of the construction project.

Learn about DOT construction permits.

Homeowners or commercial entities may place a refuse container on a City street or sidewalk to clean out bulk items only from their home or business.

These containers may not be used for perishable waste or construction material from a worksite requiring a Department of Buildings (DOB) or DOT Construction permit.   

The refuse container must be of commercial grade and placed on the City street or sidewalk by a carting company registered with DOT.  Permits must be obtained by the carting company, not by the property or business owner. Each permit allows placement of one refuse container for up to 5 consecutive days.

Property owners or tenants who want to build a structure on the sidewalk adjacent to their building to enclose a small dumpster or trash containers are required to obtain a Revocable Consent.

Revocable Consents are granted by DOT's Office of Franchises, Concessions and Consents after extensive review by:

  • City agencies
  • Elected officials
  • The local Community Board
  • The City’s Public Design Commission

The revocable consent agreement requires the grantee to insure the structure and pay an annual fee.

Learn about revocable consents.

Storage containers (sometimes referred to as "pods") used for non-construction activity, such as temporary storage or shipping of personal goods or furniture, are not permitted for storage on City streets.

 Was this information helpful?   Yes    No