Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

City Clerk offices are open by appointment only. Offices are not providing walk-in services.

Schedule an appointment through the Project Cupid website at New appointments open up weekly and you should regularly check the Project Cupid website for new availability.

You can also contact the City Clerk online for more information and assistance.

Contact the City Clerk.

You can register or terminate a domestic partnership online or in person.

A couple can register a domestic partnership if:

  • The partners have a close and committed personal relationship and have been living together continuously
  • Both partners are New York City residents, or at least one person is employed by the City on the date of registration. The partners must sign a domestic partnership affidavit at the clerk's office to swear to their residency
  • Both people are 18 years of age or older
  • Neither partner is currently married
  • Neither person is currently in a domestic partnership or has been in another domestic partnership within the last six months
  • The partners are not related to each other by blood in a way that would prevent marriage in New York State

You can get an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership Form by visiting any of the five City Clerk offices. You do not need an appointment.

To register the partnership, complete, sign, and notarize the form. 

If you choose to submit your application online, you will get a confirmation number after you do so. To complete the application, both partners must go to the Office of the City Clerk in person. You must bring your confirmation number with you.

No one else can apply on behalf of either person.


The fee to register a Domestic Partnership is $35.

You can pay by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) or a money order made payable to the City Clerk.

Identification Requirements to Register a Domestic Partnership

You must bring valid identification with you when you apply for a Domestic Partnership. Expired forms of identification will not be accepted, no exceptions.

Acceptable forms of identification are:

  • Driver's license (from the United States or one of its territories)
  • Non driver's identification card (from the United States or one of its territories)
  • Original Birth Certificate
  • United States Immigration Card
  • A valid passport from any country
  • Official School Record
  • Employee Identification Card

Learn about City Clerk Domestic Partnership Registration.

In order to end a Domestic Partnership, a Termination Statement must be completed by you or your partner and signed by both parties.

Statements can be submitted online or in person at the Office of the City Clerk. If the statement is submitted online, you must still appear in person to complete the process.

When you submit the Domestic Partnership Termination Application online, you will get a confirmation number.

To complete the application, you must bring:

  • Your confirmation number
  • $27 payment (by credit card or money order, payable to the City Clerk)
  • Proper identification
  • Any additional required documentation

Learn about City Clerk Domestic Partnership Termination.

Application Expiration

Online applications expire after 21 days. If you do not complete the application at the Office of the City Clerk before then, you will need to submit a new application.

File by Certified Mail

If it is not possible for you to come to the City Clerk to file the Termination Statement, you can download the form and file it by Certified Mail. The form can be found online. Visit the Office of the City Clerk's website.

However, you must demonstrate in a written statement attached to the Termination Statement that in-person filing is not possible or would create a hardship. If you fail to do so or do not present a convincing case, your request will be denied and the Termination Statement must then be filed in person.

If the submitted Termination Statement is not signed by both parties, the original certified return receipt must also be sent with the Termination Statement as proof that the non-signing party was notified.


If either you or your Domestic Partner get married to each other or to another person, your Domestic Partnership is automatically terminated.

Statement Not Signed By Partner

If the Termination Statement has not been signed by both you and your partner, you must notify your partner of your termination by Registered Mail, Return Receipt requested.

You may purchase additional certificates, in person only, at any City Clerk's Office.

The fee for a certified copy is $9 by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk.

For additional inquires on obtaining duplicate copies of a domestic partnership, you can call the City Clerk's office.

Call 311 for assistance.

Supreme Court Building
851 Grand Concourse, Room B131 (between East 158th and East 159th Street)
Bronx, NY 10451
Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 4 PM

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

Municipal Building
210 Joralemon Street, 2nd Floor, Room 205 (between Court and Fulton Street)
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 4 PM

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

Municipal Building
141 Worth Street (between Centre Street and Hamill Place)
New York, NY 10013
Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 3:45 PM

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

Borough Hall Building 
120-55 Queens Boulevard, Ground Floor, Room G-100 (between 80 Road and 82 Avenue)
Kew Gardens, NY 11424
Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4 PM

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

Borough Hall Building
10 Richmond Terrace, 3rd Floor, Room 311 (between Bay Street and Bend)
Staten Island, NY 10301
Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 4 PM

Call 311 for assistance by phone.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No