Call 911
Call 911 to report immediate danger including:
  • Natural gas odors
  • Other potential gas leaks
  • Falling debris that is an immediate hazard
  • Accidents

Need something else?

You can get information about construction site safety regulations from the Department of Buildings (DOB).


Get information about construction safety.


Site Safety Professionals, contractors, job site owners and other industry professionals can email for all industry related inquiries or additional information.

By Phone

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to learn more.

Per Local Law 196 of 2017, construction and demolition workers are required to have safety training if they work on job sites with a Construction Superintendent, Site Safety Coordinator, or Site Safety Manager. 

Your employer will not allow you to work unless you are trained. If your employer allows you to work without the required training, your employer may be subject to a violation.

Currently, construction and demolition workers must be able to prove that they have completed at least a 10-hour OSHA class within the previous five years to continue working on the site.

In addition, these requirements increased to: 

  • 30 hours of safety training by December 1, 2019
  • 40 hours of safety training by September 1, 2020

If you started working after December 1, 2019, you must complete the 10-hour OSHA class before you start work. You then have six months to complete the additional 30 hours of safety training to meet the 40-hour requirement. 

To find out if your job site requires the safety training, please visit DOB's Site Safety Construction Map website and enter your job site address.

Get more information about the requirements and training resources.

Use DOB's Site Safety Construction Map.

Need more help?

Go to the Worker Safety page if you are a worker who believes you have been unfairly targeted or terminated as a result of this law, to report to the New York State Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

To request an inspection to rescind a partial or full Stop Work Order (PSWO or SWO) related to construction safety, you should complete a Construction Safety Enforcement Appointment Request Form and send it to

Download a Construction Safety Enforcement Appointment Request Form.

If you are a Site Safety Professional, contractor, job site owner, or other building construction professional, you must report worksite accidents that result in injury of construction workers or members of the public to DOB. Non-industry professionals should use Building Construction Complaint to report unsafe construction for workers or neighboring property. 

Learn more about reporting worksite accidents to DOB.

In addition, to comply with Local Law 78 of 2017, property owners and other responsible parties are required to report construction site incidents to the Department within three (3) business days using the Injury/Fatality Incident Information Form


Injury/Fatality Incident Information Form

By Phone

  • Agency: Department of Buildings
  • Division: Work Site Incident Hotline
  • Phone Number: (212) 602-0431
  • Business Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week

Workers and concerned observers can report a building construction site that is unsafe for construction workers. Anyone filing a report can choose to remain anonymous.

Include in your report:

  • The type of work being done
  • The worker's complaint about the construction work

Call 311 or 212-NEW-YORK (212-639-9675) to report the problem.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No