To apply for a certificate, visit the Certificate of Conduct and Non-Criminal Fingerprint section at One Police Plaza in lower Manhattan. The office is open Monday through Friday, 7 AM to 3 PM. Processing hours are 7 AM to 2 PM.
You must submit a $50 money order or certified check with your application. The money order or check should be made payable to New York City Police Department.
Credit and debit cards are also accepted but debit cards must have a Visa or Master Card logo. You must also provide valid identification. Processing normally takes approximately 10 working days.
Accepted types of documentation and identification required for obtaining a Certificate of Conduct are listed below. Documents must be original. No document photocopies, pictures of documents or laminated documents will be accepted. All documents must be intact.
U.S. Citizens are required to submit the following documents when applying for a Certificate of Conduct. No document photocopies will be accepted.
- Valid US Passport, or
- Original U.S. birth certificate AND a valid U.S. driver's license or DMV identification card, or IDNYC (New York City identification card) or
- Voter's registration card AND a valid driver’s license or DMV identification card, or IDNYC (New York City identification card) or
- Naturalization certificate
Non-U.S. Citizens are required to submit the following documents when applying for a Certificate of Conduct:
- Valid passport or Alien Registration Card or Employment Authorization Card, or
- Current letter from the Department of Homeland Security (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) indicating the applicant's name, address, alien registration number and current status in this country AND a valid U.S. driver's license or DMV identification card (issued in USA) photo identification, or IDNYC (New York City identification card) or
- Letter from the applicant's consulate or an attorney that contains the applicant's full physical description and date of birth AND valid U.S. driver’s license or DMV identification card (issued in USA) or IDNYC (New York City identification card)