Need something else?

A Certificate of Disposition is an official court document that indicates the current status of a case or its final disposition.

To request a Certificate of Disposition, you must bring the following items to the court in the borough where your case was filed:

  • Docket number or defendant's full name and date of birth, or date of arrest
  • Picture ID
  • $10 (exact change only)

If you are on public assistance and can't afford the fee, ask the court about getting a fee waiver.

You can learn more about requesting a Certificate of Disposition.


Get information about requesting a Certificate of Disposition.

Contact the Legal Action Center of New York for help with getting a Certificate of Good Conduct.

By Phone

  • Agency: New York Courts
  • Phone Number: (800) 268-7869
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 9 AM - 5 PM
  • Automated assistance is also available in Cantonese, Mandarin, and Spanish.

If you have been issued a summons by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), you can get a disposition letter from the NYC Transit Adjudication Bureau.  

A $10 fee, government ID, and Social Security Card will be required.

The Bureau is located at 29 Gallatin Place, 3rd Floor, in Brooklyn.

  • Agency: Metropolitan Transportation Authority
  • Division: Transit Adjudication Bureau
  • Phone Number: (347) 643-5805
  • Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM

If you are requesting a disposition for a defendant who has a sealed case, you must have a notarized letter from the defendant giving permission to release the disposition.

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No