Coronavirus (COVID-19) Alert

As part of the citywide response to the Coronavirus, Department of Buildings (DOB) customers are strongly encouraged to immediately limit the amount of walk-in traffic to DOB offices.

Learn about the Department of Building's COVID-19 response.

If you want to work as a stationary or portable high-pressure boiler engineer in New York City, the Department of Buildings (DOB) requires you to have a High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer License.

To get the license, you must pass the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) written and practical engineer exam and have at least 5 years of experience working directly under a licensed high pressure boiler engineer, or 3 years of experience if you have a Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering.

Boiler operator engineers (sometimes called stationary engineers) control high pressure boilers for buildings or for industrial purposes. They are responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of boilers.

The license must be renewed every 3 years. 


Get information about how to become a licensed high-pressure boiler engineer.

By Phone

Call 311 for assistance.

In Person

In person assistance is available at the Department of Buildings' Licensing office:

280 Broadway
1st Floor
New York, NY 10007

  Was this information helpful?   Yes    No