The Department for the Aging (DFTA) provides referrals to seniors 60 and older who have vision problems.
There are organizations that can help you make the best use of your remaining vision, and learn new ways to do routine daily tasks. They will help you to be as independent as possible and continue to live safely in your own home and community.
These vision rehabilitation agencies provide daily skills training and instructions on how to use a white cane to travel safely. They can assess your needs in getting around your home, managing in the kitchen safely, reading, using large print and talking devices, and other daily tasks.
The following organizations provide assistance to seniors in all boroughs, at no cost:
- Visions Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- Call (212) 625-1616 or toll free at (888) 245-8333
- Helen Keller Services for the Blind
- The Jewish Guild for the Blind
- Catholic Guild for the Blind
- Call (212) 371-1000 or (212) 371-2017