Children who live in the Bronx and have an asthma-related hospitalization or emergency visit at one of three H +H acute care hospitals in the Bronx will be connected to a social worker who will link the family with a Community Health Worker. The three H + H acure care hospitals are Lincoln, Jacobi, and North Central Bronx.
The Social Worker or Community Health Worker will:
- Link child to a primary care provider if they do not already have one
- Schedule them for a home visit and inspection by the CHW
- Arrange for Integrated Pest Management services if pests are identified in the home
- Work with the child’s parent and primary care provider to complete the Asthma Medication Administration Form to inform the school medical staff of the child’s asthma diagnosis and to allow for asthma management at school
- Connect the family to health insurance enrollment assistance (including NYC Care) and other necessary social services
Children ages 5-17 years old that live in the Bronx who have an asthma related ED visit or hospitalization at Lincoln Hospital beginning in early September, and at Jacobi or North Central Bronx Hospitals starting in November 2019. The program is limited to children that live in the Bronx.
The program is free.