The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) Cooling Assistance Component benefit provides a limited number of air conditioners or fans for people who have a medical condition that is made worse by heat. The air conditioners or fans are provided on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants.
The 2019-2020 Cooling Assistance Component benefit application period is now closed. The 2020-2021 Cooling Assistance Component benefit application period will open on May 1st, 2021.
To be eligible for a HEAP Cooling Assistance Component benefit, your household:
- must meet 2019-2020 HEAP benefit gross monthly income guidelines, and
- must have at least 1 household member who suffers from a heat-related health problem, documented by a doctor.
You are not eligible if:
- you have a working air conditioner that is less than 5 years old, or
- your household received a HEAP funded air conditioner within the past 5 years.
Learn more about the HEAP Cooling Assistance Component benefit.
- Agency: Human Resources Administration
- Phone Number: (718) 557-1399
- Business Hours: Monday - Friday: 8 AM - 5 PM
- Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish. Most languages are available through a staff person. If you get a fast busy signal or hear a message that the number is not in service, please call back later for assistance.