The Cooling Assistance Program provides a limited number of air conditioners for people who have a medical condition that is made worse by heat.
The air conditioners are provided on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible applicants.
Applications became available on May 1, 2019. Applications will be accepted until Friday, August 30, 2019 or when the program’s funding runs out, whichever comes first.
You can request that an application be mailed to you.
To be eligible for the Cooling Assistance Program, your household:
- must meet HEAP income guidelines and
- must have at least 1 household member who suffers from a heat-related health problem, documented by a doctor.
You are not eligible if:
- you have a working air conditioner that is less than 5 years old or
- your household received an air conditioner from the Cooling Assistance Program within the past 10 years.
Learn more about the Cooling Assistance Program.
- Agency: Human Resources Administration
- Phone Number: (718) 557-1399
- Business Hours: Mon - Fri: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Staff is available through the automated phone system during business hours. Automated assistance is also available in Cantonese, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish. Most languages are available through a staff person.