These are the guidelines you should follow when installing an air conditioner:
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions included with the A/C unit.
- Make sure the A/C is installed securely. Support it from underneath or firmly fasten it from inside with angles. You can use metal brackets and mounting rails for safe installation.
- Supporting metal brackets and interior angles must be structurally fastened to the building envelope and strong enough for the size and weight of the A/C unit.
- Objects used to adjust the position of the A/C unit must have an independent source of fastening or attachment.
- Secure leveling objects in order to prevent movement and shifting due to vibration or weather conditions.
- Install the A/C so that it remains in place when the window is opened and affix it so that the window cannot be opened accidentally.
- Do not use loose objects, such as wood blocks, bricks, or telephone books to level an air conditioner.
- Do not place anything on top of an air conditioner.
- Tilt the unit slightly to provide water drainage but do not over tilt.