You are required to renew the clergy exemption every year. The Department of Finance will contact you when it is time to renew.
If you were granted the clergy exemption on or before July 1, 2021 you are required to renew the exemption by March 15, 2022. To be eligible to renew you must meet the eligibility requirements.
To renew you need to submit the completed clergy renewal application signed by all property owners listed on the deed or renew online, and upload or include the following documentation:
- A verification letter from the house of worship stating that you a full time active or retired member of the clergy, no longer able to perform your duties due to an illness or
- A verification letter from the house of worship stating that your deceased spouse was a member of the clergy
And the following, if applicable:
- Death certificate if you are an unmarried surviving spouse
- Letter from a physician documenting illness or impairment if the clergy member is unable to perform work
- Proof of age if the clergy member is retired and over 70 years old
- Last will and testament, probate or court order if the property was willed to an owner
You can renew the clergy exemption online or by mail.
You can complete the application and upload your documents online. You'll need to log in or create an account first.
Filing online will allow you to:
- Save your progress so you can come back to a partially completed application later
- View the status of submitted applications
- Get electronic notifications when your application is submitted, received, and processed or if additional information is required
- Submit additional documents
Renew the Clergy Exemption online.
Submit your application and all supporting documents by mail to:
NYC Department of Finance
P.O. Box 311
Maplewood, NJ 07040-0311
Keep a copy of your application for your records. You will receive an acknowledgment letter from the Department of Finance when your application is received.
If you receive a denial notice because you did not renew on time you should submit an appeal to the Tax Commission.
Download the Clergy Exemption Renewal Application.
Call 311 to request a paper copy.