You are required to renew the clergy exemption. The Department of Finance will contact you when it is time to renew.
If you were granted the clergy exemption on or before July 1, 2019 you are required to renew the exemption. To be eligible to renew you must meet the eligibility requirements.
To renew you need to submit the completed clergy renewal application signed by all property owners listed on the deed and the following documentation:
- A verification letter from the house of worship stating that you a full time active or retired member of the clergy, no longer able to perform your duties due to an illness or
- A verification letter from the house of worship stating that your deceased spouse was a member of the clergy
And the following, if applicable:
- Death certificate if you are an unmarried surviving spouse
- Letter from a physician documenting illness or impairment if the clergy member is unable to perform work
- Proof of age if the clergy member is retired and over 70 years old
- Last will and testament, probate or court order if the property was willed to an owner
Submit your application and all supporting documents by mail to:
NYC Department of Finance
P.O. Box 311
Maplewood, NJ 07040-0311
Keep a copy of your application for your records. You will receive an acknowledgment letter from the Department of Finance when your application is received.
If you received a notice because you did not renew on time you should still submit the renewal application to the Department of Finance. In addition you should submit an appeal to the Tax Commission.
Download the Clergy Exemption Renewal Application.
Call 311 to request a paper copy.